9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2017 11:49 AM by Matt Coles

How to send email alerts to multiple users for extract failure?

Atul Bhagwat

Hi Experts,

We are using Tableau 10.2

It has a functionality available to send in alerts to owners in case of extract refresh failures.

I did go through viz alerts documentation, which states that this can be achieved using the same.

However, very new to the concept of development, hence need to check and confirm few things:

1. Using Viz alerts Can I send emails to multiple users for a particular extract failure?

2. I have followed the install guide for Vizalerts and got the setup done.

However, I am unable to configure the workbook for the same

It says to add one email id only for From and To.

A bit confused on that part.

Can anyone list steps to achieve the same?

Would really appreciate it

Regards,

Atul B

• 1. Re: How to send email alerts to multiple users for extract failure?
          Matt Coles

Yes, you can email multiple users dynamically, depending on what extract failed. See Example: Email users whose extracts fail to refresh .

But first, you said you've gotten the install done, which is great. Have you worked through any of the examples and gotten them working properly yet? Before building a new fancy failed-extract alert, make sure you have the basic concepts down.

I don't understand your question about "email id only for From and To". What part of the documentation are you referencing?

The overall answer to your question about how to alert for failed extract refreshes is to grab TS Background Tasks , point it at your Tableau Server Repository.

Filter to Job Status = Failed, Completed At is Previous Hour

Put Job Id on Detail shelf.

Create a new Calc called "Email Action". Set it to '1'. Drag it to Detail shelf.

Create a new Calc called "Email To" and set it to [Owner Email]. Drag it to Detail shelf.

Create a new Calc called "Email Subject" and set it to "[Item Name] +} ' Extract Refreshes Failed'". Drag it to Detail Shelf.

Create a new Calc called "Email Body" and set it to "'Here''s why:' + [Notes]". Drag it to the Detail Shelf.

Publish the viz to Tableau Server, then subscribe on a VizAlerts schedule that runs every hour. If you need notifications more quickly, see Tip: Relative date filter for previous 15 minutes . If you want to include others depending on the extract, build that criteria into your Email To calculation with an IF/THEN statement, appending the additional addresses to [Owner Email], delimited by semicolons, commas, or spaces. e.g. [Owner Email] + IF [Item Name] = 'Super Important Workbook' THEN ';admin@mycompany.com' ELSE '' END

And of course, you can pretty up the Body of the email with HTML text if you want to include more information for the person receiving the email. Hyperlinks to the item on Tableau Server, suggestions on how to fix the problem, etc.

Let me know if that helps.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to send email alerts to multiple users for extract failure?
            Atul Bhagwat

Thanks a lot Matt

Will look into this and get back in case of queries.

Regards,

Atul B

• 3. Re: How to send email alerts to multiple users for extract failure?
              Atul Bhagwat

Hi Matt,

So far, I have setup the Vizalerts schedule, I run it manually for now every 15 minutes.

Created a disabled subscription and was testing the Extract Failure Alerts workbook. It works fine. It gives me a list of workbooks and datasources that triggered and failed (Blue and red)

Should I put the TEST mode off now to check if it goes to owners as well?

Also, tried to get the TS Background Tasks working with my server repository.

For now, I need to know how to limit the amount of data it should retrieve?

Also, Email To instead of a IF condition for now, I just want something like

[Owner Email] + 'myemaild@domain.com'

When I tried, it kept looping infinitely.

If I change it to only Owner Email that works

Please advice

Regards,

Atul B

• 4. Re: How to send email alerts to multiple users for extract failure?
                Matt Coles

So far, I have setup the Vizalerts schedule, I run it manually for now every 15 minutes.

By "VizAlerts schedule", do you mean a Windows Scheduled Task? Or a Schedule in Tableau Server? The Windows Scheduled Task should run every minute, as documented in the Install Guide, and the Tableau Server schedules, if run manually in Tableau Server, will have no effect on VizAlerts.

Created a disabled subscription and was testing the Extract Failure Alerts workbook. It works fine. It gives me a list of workbooks and datasources that triggered and failed (Blue and red)

Should I put the TEST mode off now to check if it goes to owners as well?

Yes, it's entirely up to you when you turn it on. Though, I recommend CC-ing or BCC-ing your own email address for some time, to make sure your users are getting what they need.

Also, tried to get the TS Background Tasks working with my server repository.

For now, I need to know how to limit the amount of data it should retrieve?

Typically, this is done via Filters. Relative date filters are the easiest. But, more importantly, why do you want to to limit the amount of data it is retrieving? For performance reasons, or to avoid duplicate / excessive alert emails being sent?

Also, Email To instead of a IF condition for now, I just want something like

[Owner Email] + 'myemaild@domain.com'

When I tried, it kept looping infinitely.

If I change it to only Owner Email that works

What is looping infinitely? What are you looking at that makes you think that that is what it is doing? Don't forget to add a semicolon, comma, or space between [Owner Email] and your static address. Should be [Owner Email] + ';myemaild@domain.com', otherwise you will be sending to the wrong email address.

• 5. Re: How to send email alerts to multiple users for extract failure?
                  Atul Bhagwat

Hi Matt,

By "VizAlerts schedule", do you mean a Windows Scheduled Task? Or a Schedule in Tableau Server? The Windows Scheduled Task should run every minute, as documented in the Install Guide, and the Tableau Server schedules, if run manually in Tableau Server, will have no effect on VizAlerts.

-- Sorted this now with a task scheduler running every minute.

I am checking the ExtractFailure Alerts workbook and now I can see the Extract Failure Alert page shows something like this:

however, I got an email like this:

On the left were the datasource and workbook names, so that is good.

However, why did Email To* and email CC (me) did not receive a seprate mail as mentioned in the above Failure Alert page.

Something missing to be configured?

Regards,

Atul B

• 6. Re: How to send email alerts to multiple users for extract failure?
                    Matt Coles

You are missing the Email Action field in your viz. Note that all my previous instructions assume that you are using the latest version of VizAlerts, 2.0.1.

• 7. Re: How to send email alerts to multiple users for extract failure?
                      Atul Bhagwat

Thanks Matt.

Yes, I am using Vizalerts 2.0.1

Now I have Email Action mentioned.

I have subscribed a workbook to Vizalerts - On Refresh Fail schedule that runs every 15 minutes.

Hopefully should get a mail , as I am in CC, when it fails

Regards,

Atul B

• 8. Re: How to send email alerts to multiple users for extract failure?
                        Atul Bhagwat

Hi Matt,

I have setup the following:

TS Background Tasks workbook as you mentioned. Completed at is set to Previous hour.

I can see the extracts that failed the previous hour with their owners n stuff. So that is sorted.

I published the same to Tableau Server. Subscribed it to a Viz Alerts schedule for 1 hour.

A task scheduler job was created which runs vizalerts.exe every minute.

I did receive an email once with the description and error alert ( for now, I have replaced [Owner Mail] with my email id)

However, I did not receive any mails later. Even when the schedule failed.

So don't know if I am missing a piece somewhere.

Thanks again for all your efforts.

Edit: Forgot to add..

also, if a schedule fails 3 times within an hour. I can see three instances in the TS Backgrounder Tasks workbook.

So, would it send mail 3 times?

Regards,

Atul B

• 9. Re: How to send email alerts to multiple users for extract failure?
                          Matt Coles

Some things to check:

1. Make sure the VizAlerts scheduled task you set up is still running every minute.

2. Make sure that it is still generating new log lines in the \logs\ folder.

3. Go to VizAlertsConfig\ScheduledTriggerViews. Ensure that you are seeing the subscription that you created show up in that viz.

4. Check your subscription viz again. Does it still show data in there for failed extracts during the previous hour?

5. Check your spam/junk/clutter folder, and make sure you didn't miss an email that way.

6. Finally, check the VizAlerts \temp\ folder. In it, you should see several .csv files with the name of the viz you subscribed to in them. Open some of these and look to see if any have any rows showing. If they do, make sure that the Email Action field says "1" for the data you expected would alert you.

1 of 1 people found this helpful