13 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2017 10:14 AM by Caitlin Cooper

Desktop Public 10.4 exits with code 1 after start?

Peter Bodifee

Tableau Desktop Public Edition 10.4

Mac OS X 10.11.6

Macbook5,1

New installation.

When I start TD I get the main window with a blank (white) canvas and (sometimes) an error message dialog window. Shortly after that the main window disappears.

The console shows the following errors:

2017-10-11 20:41:20.536 FNPLicensingService[31825]: Started - This service performs licensing functions on behalf of FlexNet enabled products.

2017-10-11 20:41:20.778 FlexNet Licensing Service[31825]: WARNING: The Gestalt selector gestaltSystemVersion is returning 10.9.6 instead of 10.11.6. This is not a bug in Gestalt -- it is a documented limitation. Use NSProcessInfo's operatingSystemVersion property to get correct system version number.

Call location:

2017-10-11 20:41:20.779 FlexNet Licensing Service[31825]: 0   CarbonCore                          0x00007fff868cc6df ___Gestalt_SystemVersion_block_invoke + 113

2017-10-11 20:41:20.779 FlexNet Licensing Service[31825]: 1   libdispatch.dylib                   0x00007fff8a21d40b _dispatch_client_callout + 8

2017-10-11 20:41:20.779 FlexNet Licensing Service[31825]: 2   libdispatch.dylib                   0x00007fff8a21d303 dispatch_once_f + 67

2017-10-11 20:41:20.779 FlexNet Licensing Service[31825]: 3   CarbonCore                          0x00007fff86858fbc _Gestalt_SystemVersion + 987

2017-10-11 20:41:20.779 FlexNet Licensing Service[31825]: 4   CarbonCore                          0x00007fff868587d0 Gestalt + 139

2017-10-11 20:41:20.779 FlexNet Licensing Service[31825]: 5   FNPLicensingService                 0x000000010e1e73d8 FNPLicensingService + 58328

2017-10-11 20:41:20.779 FlexNet Licensing Service[31825]: 6   FNPLicensingService                 0x000000010e1e6c7b FNPLicensingService + 56443

2017-10-11 20:42:01.290 Tableau Public[31831]: Error loading /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/AdobePDFViewer.plugin/Contents/MacOS/AdobePDFViewer:  dlopen(/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/AdobePDFViewer.plugin/Contents/MacOS/AdobePDFViewer, 262): no suitable image found.  Did find:

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/AdobePDFViewer.plugin/Contents/MacOS/AdobePDFViewer: mach-o, but wrong architecture

2017-10-11 20:42:01.687 Tableau Public[31831]: Error loading /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Silverlight.plugin/Contents/MacOS/agcore:  dlopen(/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Silverlight.plugin/Contents/MacOS/agcore, 262): no suitable image found.  Did find:

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Silverlight.plugin/Contents/MacOS/agcore: mach-o, but wrong architecture

2017-10-11 20:42:03.652 com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.tableausoftware.tableaupublic.8992[31831]) Service exited with abnormal code: 1

Any ideas on how to resolve the issue(s) preventing TD to start up? Is it a problem with the Licensing Service or the Plug-Ins? Is TD dependent on PDF Viewer and/or Silverlight?

I checked the information on this forum on potential licensing problems and these are my results:

$ cd /Applications/Tableau\ Public.app/Contents/Frameworks/FlexNet/

$ ./custactutil -view

No fulfillment records in trusted storage

I tried the -localrepair option but it doesn't change the status.

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Desktop Public 10.4 exits with code 1 after start?
          Caitlin Cooper

Hi Peter,

I did a search for WARNING: The Gestalt selector gestaltSystemVersion is returning 10.9.6 instead of 10.11.6. This is not a bug in Gestalt -- it is a documented limitation. Use NSProcessInfo's operatingSystemVersion property to get correct system version number.

And it looks like the error might be fairly common among some MacOS users, though not necessarily with Tableau Public. One person seems to have had some luck by upgrading to Sierra, though (OS X 10.11.x: Finder freezes - right-click or s... |Official Apple Support Communities ). I'm not sure if that's an option or if that would provide an actual resolution in this case as it doesn't seem to be an error from Tableau itself, but rather the licensing component of Tableau. There shouldn't be an dependencies as far as PDF Viewer or Silverlight go.

Have you used a version of Tableau Public in the past without issue? What about Tableau Desktop?

I've pasted our Mac tech spec requirements below. I did a quick search for your model and it looks like it may be from 2008, which could also be a culprit.

Mac
          • iMac/MacBook computers 2009 or newer
          • OSX 10.10 or newer
          • 1.5 GB minimum free disk space
          • 1366 by 768 screen resolution or higher

• 2. Re: Desktop Public 10.4 exits with code 1 after start?
            Peter Bodifee

Indeed I have a late 2008 Aluminium Macbook (almost 9 years and still going!), for which 10.11 is the latest version. Sierra does indeed need the 2009 and later models. For the rest of the spec I easily meet.

I haven't used Tableau in the past, new user here.

Will try to figure out what I can do about the licensing issue.

• 3. Re: Desktop Public 10.4 exits with code 1 after start?
              Caitlin Cooper

Wow, 9 years is amazing!

I don't know that the licensing will have much bearing since Tableau Public doesn't require a license key, but one thing you could also try is downloading a trial of Tableau Desktop and see if you get the same results. If you do, it may just be an incompatibility with something in the older MacBooks.

I'm thinking that you might also be able to use an older version of Tableau that supports your system in its entirety. I know we publish older versions of Tableau Desktop (Tableau Desktop | Tableau Software), but I'm not sure if we do the same for Tableau Public.

• 4. Re: Desktop Public 10.4 exits with code 1 after start?
                Caitlin Cooper

By the way -- If you do go the route of trying an older version on a trial, it looks like around 9.3.3 was the last release that was listed as supported on the tech specs page. I went rummaging through the Way Back Machine (seen here: All Technical Specifications | Tableau Software ) and June of 2016 looks like the last month to have it listed per the machine.

• 5. Re: Desktop Public 10.4 exits with code 1 after start?
                  Peter Bodifee

Thanks for the info.

I have been contemplating to go macOS Sierra for a while. I found that my macbook is capable (with some patching see macOS Sierra Patch Tool  ). So now I am on macOS 10.12.5.  To my surprise it feels more responsive then my El Capitan install. But I digress.

Starting TB Public now gets to the point where parts of the UI are shown and then it exits. I have to get used to the new Sierra Console application, as I can't find any message of the TB or the licensing server. So I am now in the dark what is happening.

I went into my Time Machine and did find a TB public version I installed 2 years ago: version 9.1  Never really used it, don't ask why ;-)

It shows exactly the same startup behaviour as 10.4

So it looks like there is something specific outside TB preventing a proper start. More digging to do...

• 6. Re: Desktop Public 10.4 exits with code 1 after start?
                    Caitlin Cooper

Thank you for the update! At the very least out of this, you'll have a faster OS ;-)

You may be able to find some insight in the Tableau logs. The default location is /Users/<username>/Documents/My Tableau Repository/Logs

Good luck!

• 7. Re: Desktop Public 10.4 exits with code 1 after start?
                      Peter Bodifee

Thank you, I found the logs, JSON formatted.

I tried again today with TB 10.4 to get a 'clean' log.txt

This command

egrep 'startup|environment|error' log.txt | jq "."

produces:

{

"ts": "2017-10-13T10:16:43.688",

"pid": 22082,

"tid": "e29a4",

"sev": "info",

"req": "-",

"sess": "-",

"site": "{167672FD-24B9-45AC-913F-2228B7A1CCCD}",

"user": "-",

"k": "startup-info",

"v": {

"cwd": "/",

"domain": "undetermined",

"hostname": "PeterBosMacBook",

"os": "Mac OS X 10.12.5",

"process-id": "22082 (0x5642)",

"start-time": "2017-10-13T17:16:43.688",

"tableau-version": "10400.17.0915.2112"

}

}

{

"ts": "2017-10-13T10:16:43.688",

"k": "environment",

"v": {

"Apple_PubSub_Socket_Render": "/private/tmp/com.apple.launchd.GIrh9EIzXZ/Render",

"DISPLAY": "/private/tmp/com.apple.launchd.PXtwHwxJdk/org.macosforge.xquartz:0",

"FIREBIRD": "/Applications/Tableau Public 10.4.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks",

"FIREBIRD_LOCK": "/var/folders/gg/2f3bjtwx507fshh_4rll908c0000gn/T/tableau-temp/firebird/C384F9BBC1F546ADB9C0164DF74A8D1A",

"FIREBIRD_TMP": "/var/folders/gg/2f3bjtwx507fshh_4rll908c0000gn/T/tableau-temp/firebird/C384F9BBC1F546ADB9C0164DF74A8D1A",

"HOME": "/Users/peter",

"LANG": ".UTF-8",

"LOGNAME": "peter",

"NLS_LANG": "ENGLISH_UNITED KINGDOM.WE8MSWIN1252",

"NLS_NUMERIC_CHARACTERS": ".,",

"PATH": "/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin",

"SHELL": "/bin/bash",

"SSH_AUTH_SOCK": "/private/tmp/com.apple.launchd.A156L3YEii/Listeners",

"TMPDIR": "/var/folders/gg/2f3bjtwx507fshh_4rll908c0000gn/T/",

"USER": "peter",

"XPC_FLAGS": "0x0",

"XPC_SERVICE_NAME": "com.tableausoftware.tableaupublic.3588",

"__CF_USER_TEXT_ENCODING": "0x1F5:0x0:0x52"

}

}

{

"ts": "2017-10-13T10:16:48.859",

"sev": "error",

"k": "msg",

"v": "Can't open certificate keyring 'CA'. Error message: 'No Trust Settings were found.'."

}

When googling the message I run into things like macOS Sierra: If your certificate isn’t being accepted

Some more googling and I found this command:

$ /usr/bin/security dump-trust-settings -d

SecTrustSettingsCopyCertificates: No Trust Settings were found.

$ cd /Applications/Tableau\ Public\ 10.4.app/Contents/Frameworks/FlexNet/

$ ./custactutil -view

No fulfillment records in trusted storage

Any ideas what causes this? And why is this needed for TB Public?

• 8. Re: Desktop Public 10.4 exits with code 1 after start?
                        Peter Bodifee

Further inspection of the log file shows more warnings/info about licensing(?):

{

"ts": "2017-10-13T10:16:44.421",

"sev": "warn",

"v": "Hyper Server Executable NOT FOUND: \"/Applications/Tableau Public 10.4.app/Contents/MacOS/hyper/hyperdstarter\""

}

{

"ts": "2017-10-13T10:16:44.444",

"v": "licUsageReport: License reporting server config does not exist."

}

• 9. Re: Desktop Public 10.4 exits with code 1 after start?
                          Caitlin Cooper

I found a couple things about the licUsageReport error on Troubleshoot Tableau Desktop Installation :

The registry key is not set or is in the wrong place in the registry (Windows) or .plist file (Mac).

On Mac computers, this message can be logged when a .plist file has been created in the wrong location. For example, the .plist file was created in or copied to ~\Library\Preferences instead of \Library\Preferences.

On Mac computers, this message can be logged when a .plist file has been created,but the file is then updated with a new or changed server name and the Mac computer is not restarted.

Have you tried fully uninstalling Tableau from your Mac and reinstalling? These are the steps for a full uninstallation (from Completely Removing Tableau Desktop | Tableau Software):

Mac

1. Delete the Tableau Desktop application from the Applications folder.
                            2. Delete My Tableau Repository from your Documents folder. Be sure to preserve any user-created files. As an alternative to deleting My Tableau Repository, it can also be renamed. For example: "My Tableau Repository Backup".
                            3. Delete all files whose names begin with "com.tableau" from Preferences in the Library folder.
                            4. Delete all folders whose names begin with "com.tableau" from Saved Application State in the Library folder.
                            5. Some folders are hidden on the Mac. To navigate to hidden folders:
                              1. In Finder, select Go > Go To Folder... (CMD-SHIFT-G).
                              2. In dialog box, type the folder name such as ~/Library/Preferences.

On the Mac, ~ is a shortcut for the current user's Home directory, located at /Users/[username]. If Tableau Desktop is used by multiple users on the affected computer, steps 2-4 from above should be repeated for each user.

• 10. Re: Desktop Public 10.4 exits with code 1 after start?
                            Peter Bodifee

Removed TB completely per above instruction. Clean install, no error reported on screen.

Start TB, window comes up with the blue side bar and disappears (no error dialog).

Warnings and Errors in log.txt (shortened for brevity)

{

"v": "Hyper Server Executable NOT FOUND: \"/Applications/Tableau Public.app/Contents/MacOS/hyper/hyperdstarter\""

}

{

"v": "Preferences file not found at /Users/peter/Documents/My Tableau Repository/Preferences.tps."

}

{

"sev": "error",

"v": "Can't open certificate keyring 'CA'. Error message: 'No Trust Settings were found.'."

}

The licUsageReport message is also still there.

{

"v": "licUsageReport: License reporting server config does not exist."

}

The re-install resulted in another warning message (preferences file not found - think that is normal with the first run of a new install?), however I still suspect the root of the problem is not being able to communicate (with tableau on validity of the license?) because of trust settings.

I have been searching in the past hours everywhere to see why application software can run into CA trust issue(s) and possible remedies.

The only valid certificate I have on my Macbook is in my login keychain and it is the certificate holding my Apple ID key.

Can I contact Tableau support and get help there (at least a pointer)? Or can Tableau Public users only use the community to find answers?

• 11. Re: Desktop Public 10.4 exits with code 1 after start?
                              Caitlin Cooper

Access to Support comes with a either a current subscription to Tableau or current maintenance renewal (Support FAQs | Tableau Software), so Tableau Public troubleshooting resources are usually left to the Community.

If it's any consolation, I am a member of the Support team, though I am not in any official Support capacity when I'm here in the Community :).

I poked through some of our old issues that we have cataloged internally and it looks like we've seen this previously when there are expired/untrusted certificates on the machine or when conflicting plugins are running or installed.

Please check this article for the plugins that we've found to conflict with launching Tableau -- Do you have any of these installed? 

http://kb.tableau.com/articles/issue/tableau-desktop-closes-unexpectedly-on-launch-on-a-mac

Other research indicates that you may need to install the Thawte Primary Root CA - G3 certificate on your Mac. That certificate may be downloaded here: https://www.thawte.com/roots/

This article from Apple shows that the Thawte Primary Root CA - G3 should be available through the Trusted Store, but I'm not sure how it fits together with your particular machine if there's only one certificate installed: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207189

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                              • 12. Re: Desktop Public 10.4 exits with code 1 after start?
                                Peter Bodifee

I had the fbplugin (2 versions!), moved them to the trashcan, restarted safari (to be sure) and voila TB starts and is working!

Thanks a lot Caitlin for finding causes. I was stumped by the error on the trust. It is still there, but that was not causing TB to exit unexpectedly right after start.

Will see how to install the Root CA, but it looks like I can start using TB public!

PS I wrote a python script this afternoon to 'pretty print' the log complete with filtering on severity and message type. Once I have it robust and documented I will likely upload to GitHub.

• 13. Re: Desktop Public 10.4 exits with code 1 after start?
                                  Caitlin Cooper

I'm so happy to hear that you can use Tableau Public now!

Please let me know if/when you upload your script to GitHub -- tools that make trekking through the logs easier are super helpful especially for us in Support!