5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2017 7:52 AM by Jim Dehner

cascading filters/data flow in subsequent filters in tableau 10+filters

sanjeev r

hI ,

I have 10+ filters in my report,doesn't have any specific hierarchy.

i want data to be filtered out based on previous selection (on filter) with the rest of filters.

i have tried options like adding fields to context and only relevant values /database values but didn't workout,Thanks

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: cascading filters/data flow in subsequent filters in tableau 10+filters
          Jim Dehner

hi I'm not clear on what you are trying to accomplish

Filters start out as specific to a worksheet that is they apply to the worksheet where they are applied - they need not be in any hierarchy or sequence they work in totality on the sheet - see below

If you want the filters to apply to more than one worksheet (or dashboard)

You right click the filter (the little funnel in the filter pane) and follow the path below to "Apply to Worksheets"

the receiving sheet will be filtered with the same values as the first sheet (note the dimensions for those values must be on your filter shelf) (i.e. you are passing a vlaue to the the filter on the receiving sheet)

note also you can have additional dimensions and measures on that second sheet

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

• 2. Re: cascading filters/data flow in subsequent filters in tableau 10+filters
            Zahra Badaroudine

Since I have the same question:

For me, the issue is that, if I choose "Central", as in your example, I don't want to see "Oregon" as a choice in "States". Right now, in 10.3 Desktop, this doesn't happen.

• 3. Re: cascading filters/data flow in subsequent filters in tableau 10+filters
              Jim Dehner

Ok understand the problem

Gladly help out but I am not seeing what you are seeing - tyhis is 10.3

Please upload a TWBX workbook with what you are seeing

are you literally talking about superstore data or is the issue with your own data set and filters

if so I would suggest that you look in the data file (you can export it to excel) and verify the dimension you are using as a filter contains what you expect

Jim

• 4. Re: cascading filters/data flow in subsequent filters in tableau 10+filters
                Zahra Badaroudine

Yeah, I meant in the shown filters, not in the results. The results are fine. I work with website traffic. For example, we've decided to group Unknown traffic (aka "Other") with Organic traffic and call that group "SEO". If I filter by group = SEO and look at the traffic sources ungrouped in the filters, I see all traffic sources as selected and/or shown and not only the ones that are available after filtering by traffic group. In the screenshot below, the only traffic sources that are included in D&O and SEO are Direct & Owned, Organic, Other and Social. All the other ones should be hidden and/or unselected.

Capture.JPG

• 5. Re: cascading filters/data flow in subsequent filters in tableau 10+filters
                  Jim Dehner

OK

thats a little different than you first stated - If I understand you create groups from a continuous subset of data and then applied both the group filter and the subset filter to your view - and when you filter the group it does NOT automatically filter the subset

see the attached  - still superstore data - I created groups based on states - some are grouped , others are not - but the group filter (group) will affect the subset filter (state)

I don't think I can be of much more help with out seeing the data

Jim