5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2017 1:23 PM by satish.parvathaneni

Excel datsource issue.

ravindra babu

My user is facing an issue like when he want to refresh the dashboard created using a excel data source,it is showing file does not exist (D:\ ..... .xls) and check access privileges.

please assist me as a tableau admin how can we confirm the network path and S0TABADMIN user has mapped the respective group in tableau sever installed system.

please elaborate me step by step...

thanks,

Ravindra.

• 1. Re: Excel datsource issue.
          Evan Alini

Ravindra,

Are you getting this error when publishing to Server, or just Tableau Desktop?  If Server, I know the problem is the drive letter mapping is not supported in Server.  Here is a good link for details:

How to set UNC path for Excel Based Extract?

If on Desktop, maybe it is a windows permission error, or the machine you are trying to refresh from might not have the MS Excel driver, which you can get from here:

Driver Download | Tableau Software

Otherwise, you should always follow best practice of locating your file-based sources on a UNC path and not a drive letter, and also make sure that all users trying to refresh the database (including the Run As user on Server) must have read/write access to the file location.

• 2. Re: Excel datsource issue.
            ravindra babu

Thank you Evin. the error occurred when user publish the dashboard with updated file to the server.  Would please tell me how can i see the map drives list in tableau server and also how could we Know Tableau Server 'Run As' user account will need to have access to the UNC path where the Excel file is stored.

I am new to admin role. i don't know who are having 'Run as" user account. is there any way to see the list of user accessing the account via Cmd prompt.

• 3. Re: Excel datsource issue.
              ravindra babu

hi,

when user publishing his dashboard with updated Excel data file the below error is occurring

issue2.jpgissue1.jpg

• 4. Re: Excel datsource issue.
                Toby Erkson

ravindra babu wrote:

Thank you Evin. the error occurred when user publish the dashboard with updated file to the server. Would please tell me how can i see the map drives list in tableau server

Simply open the Windows file manager (a.k.a. Windows Explorer...what a confusing name) to see the list of mapped drives.

ravindra babu wrote:

and also how could we Know Tableau Server 'Run As' user account will need to have access to the UNC path where the Excel file is stored.

Give the 'Run As User' account to the administrator of the folder where the Excel file is saved and tell them that it needs READ access to the folder.

ravindra babu wrote:

I am new to admin role. i don't know who are having 'Run as" user account. is there any way to see the list of user accessing the account via Cmd prompt.

Launch the "Tableau Server Configuration" program and you'll see it at the top left section of the window:

• 5. Re: Excel datsource issue.
                  satish.parvathaneni

Hi Ravi,

Where are you trying to access the file from ?

If you are trying to access from the server ,please make sure to include full Qualified name and also add the RUN as user account to the folder for permissions.

Once they are done you should be able to access ,report and create an extract on excel.

Thanks !