1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 10, 2017 1:27 PM by Jim Dehner

Can I reference a value in my calculated field that point another value in other worksheet

betsy curbelo

Hi, I'm trying to create a calculated field and I like to reference a value in a cell in a worksheet, like in excel. It's that possible???

• 1. Re: Can I reference a value in my calculated field that point another value in other worksheet
          Jim Dehner

Hi Betsy

I would like to understand your need a little better -Tableau is structured on a Database concept where excel is cell based - the concept of getting data from another sheet like using vlookup in excel is done differently with Tableau

first in Tableau dimensions and measures are used to create a virtual table that underlays the Viz - i.e. it doesn't have to be visable to part of the table -

you can use values in calculated that you don't necessarily show in the viz - you move around the table by using functions like lookup, first, and last

the format for lookup is Lookup(expression, offset)   example : Lookup(sum[Profit],-1)  sum profit is the column in the underlaying table and -1 is the movement from the current position - First is the first position in the column and last is the last - the direction of movement is set using the the table editor - down is column movement - across is row movement -

so in general yes - but there are rules when using LOD and table calculations - or have multiple sources

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.