3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2017 10:41 AM by Nawaid R

Multi Select Parameter Values

Nawaid R

Hi,

I did search around and couldn't find anything similar to what I want to do. So posting on this site to see if someone was able to solve this already.

Basically, I have a page with multiple dimensions and then my measure is a calculated field created using a parameter so depending on what user selects from parameter (one or All) the measure (column values) changes on the sheet.

Now my users want to select more than one value in the parameter which would mean the measure value should do any calculation needs (sum of different measures), but I am not sure how to get around that.

You cannot multi select parameters, so can we somehow do this via filters? But filter would alter a calculated field shown as one column?

I will try to create a generic worksheet without my company data and attach it, but hopefully I was able to explain myself above on what I am looking for and see if someone was able to come up with similar situation and how they resolved it.

Thanks much!

• 1. Re: Multi Select Parameter Values
          Tim Dines

Off the top of my head, I would create parameter values for each of the combinations that your users may want to see and then code your calculated field accordingly.  I would use a case statement based on the parameter selection.  The only hangup that I can foresee, having not created it yet, is that column names are not going to change with the calculated field.

• 2. Re: Multi Select Parameter Values
            Ray Givler

Are there limited combinations of the parameters that the users want such that you could combine those like:

All

a

b

c

a+b

b+c

\

?

Would there be at most 2 selections for multiple such that you could use parm1 and parm2?

parm1

All

a

b

c

parm2

All

a

b

c

• 3. Re: Multi Select Parameter Values
              Nawaid R

I am not sure if that would work, I have 13 values in my parameter drop down, so users could want to select any of the combination (not a mathematician but 13 would create tons of permutations), so it is impossible to predict what combination they would be selecting.

The column name is static, and I understand that, so not trying to change column name when parameter is selected, just the measure values in that column.