Can you confirm how many dimensions and measures you have in the 30 columns of data? If you have 16 dimensions, they can be displayed on a cross-tab without them getting merged. If you have more than that, then you can look at concatenating a few dimensions so that you can bring them to 16 or under. There would not be a problem displaying all the measures you have though. The below image displays 16 dimensions and few measures from the Superstore data.
Thank you for the answer. But the max 16 columns problem is actually something I can look past for now.
What I cannot ignore is the problem with column section and column sorting. I have so much data that I need to give users the option to sort it somehow and also the option to select the columns they want to see. How many columns I can show is not really my main concern right now.
Here is the data I want to make interactive:
For some reason, the earlier responses from both of us are not showing up in the thread.
To achieve the sorting functionality, do the following:
- Create a parameter with a list of all dimension and measure names.
- Create a calculated field which gets assigned the dimension or measure value (in string format with padded zeroes on the left) based on the parameter selection.
- Place this calculated field as the very first dimension in the rows, and suppress the headers.
To control what measures you need to display, you can again create another parameter which will contain the list of measures. You can then create a calculated field that should get assigned the measure value based on the parameter selection. This calculated field can now be used for display purposes. If you need more measures to be displayed, you can replicate this process with additional parameters.
Hope this helps.
I started doing the same thing I always do by making the parameters and calculated fields and then making sure all these Worksheets could be selected in Dashboard. But when I uploaded it I discovered that the Worksheets could just be selected without a Dashboard on the website, which made me think that that could be my solution to the problem! I just make separate Worksheets now and let people toggle between them on the top. It works very well.
Well, glad you figured out the solution. So, I guess this thread can now be closed.