5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2017 10:05 AM by Christina Davis

How to see past site users

Christina Davis

Is there a way to see the Tableau Server user history? I have a user that is claiming they once had access to a particular site and now doesn't but I'm skeptical. Is there a way to see if they had access to the site at one point but were then removed? Also, is it possible to see which user made that change?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

-Christina

• 1. Re: How to see past site users
          Toby Erkson

Depending on permissions, they may have accessed a view on another site if they were given the direct URL to the view, thus the confusion.

• 2. Re: How to see past site users
            Christina Davis

I don't believe that was the case. I highly suspect that the site administrator deleted this user but the site administrator is out for the next two weeks and I was hoping as a server administrator I might be able to confirm this (the user is asking for their access back and if the site administrator explicitly removed the user then I don't intend on re-granting them access).

• 3. Re: How to see past site users
              Toby Erkson

My guess would be to look in the historical_events table and associated hist_... tables (e.g. hist_sites & hist_users) to see if their user ID is in the same row as the site they claim to have been in.  You may be limited, however, to the number of days you keep your history so if the event was 7 months ago you're probably out of luck.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: How to see past site users
                Donna Coles

Hi Christina

I'd just deleted some users myself before seeing this thread, so had a check as to what I could see.

As Toby said historical_events will store this event providing the 'Delete User' event happened within last 6-7 months.

You'll want to look at records where historical_event_type_id = 4 (the Delete Site User event)

The hist_target_site_id field will tell you the site the event was made against (matches an entry in hist_sites)

The hist_actor_user_id column will tell you who performed the event (matches an entry in hist_users)

The hist_target_user_id column will tell you who was deleted (matches an entry in hist_users).

Hope that helps!

Donna

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: How to see past site users
                  Christina Davis

Thank you Donna! This is exactly what I was looking for.