1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2017 5:51 AM by Toby Erkson Branched from an earlier discussion.

SMS Vizalerts Error Message

Roy Luo

Hi Matt,Matt Coles

Here I have met a new problem when I sms setting done. Please see below screen shot.

Screen:

YAML file:

# Local paths settings
      log.dir: ".\\logs\\"                            # folder write dump log files to. Will be created if it does not exist.
      log.dir.file_retention_seconds: 432000          # retain log files for default of 5 days
      log.level: DEBUG                                # level of log verbosity
      schedule.state.dir: ".\\ops\\"                  # file written to keep the last run state for schedules
      temp.dir: ".\\temp\\"                           # folder to write temporary files to (csv, png for viz exports). Will be created if it does not exist.
      temp.dir.file_retention_seconds: 86400          # retain temp files for default of 24 hours, mostly for debugging

# Email settings
      smtp.serv: localhost                            # name of the smtp mail server (change for production use; default is only set to "localhost" for ease of testing with PaperCut: https://papercut.codeplex.com/)
      smtp.port: 25                                   # port to user for SMTP server (default is 25)
      smtp.address.from: joey.huang@analyticservice.net     # default sender for all alerts mail
      smtp.address.to: roy.luo@analyticservice.net   # email address of admin to send failures to

smtp.subject: 'ALERT: VizAlerts failed to execute properly'  # subject line in exception emails sent to admin
      smtp.ssl: false                                 # use encryption when connecting to SMTP server
      smtp.user:  joey.huang@analyticservice.net                                # username for account used to connect to SMTP server (null for no authentication)
      smtp.password: 114407hsq                             # password for account used to connect to SMTP server (null for no authentication)
                                                          # This can either be a plaintext password enclosed in single quotes, e.g. 'myp@ssw0rd'
                                                          # OR it can be a valid path to a .txt file containing the password, e.g. 'c:\users\mcoles\password.txt'
      # Tableau Server settings
      server: 210.22.183.67:8080                     # the Tableau Server instance your alerts will reside on. Recommend using the fully-qualified name, e.g. 'myserver.mydomain.com'
      server.version: 10                              # the major version of Tableau Server that this is running against (just ensures correct URLs in email footers)
      server.user: admin              # this is ANY user licensed in Tableau Server--it does not need to be an Admin. It must have access to download summary data from vizalerts.source.viz
      server.user.domain: null                      # the domain for the server.user account.
                                                        # Leave as null (no quotes) if Tableau Server uses local authentication
                                                        # Set to the domain if using AD authentication, e.g. 'mycompany.com'
      vizalerts.source.viz: 'VizAlertsConfig/ScheduledTriggerViews'     # Viz to pull list of alerts from. Must be of the form 'WorkbookURL/ViewUrl'
      vizalerts.source.site: 'Default'                # Site that the vizalerts.source.viz exists within. Leave as 'Default' if using the default site.

# Security settings
      server.ssl: false                               # use HTTPS for Server connections (recommended, but left off by default for testing)
      server.certcheck: false                         # if using HTTPS, validate the certificate (recommended, but left off by default for testing)
                                                         # If you turn this on you MUST specify a certificate bundle in server.certfile
      server.certfile: null                           # Full path to the set of trusted CA certificates to verify your SSL certificate on Tableau Server in .pem format
                                                          # example: 'c:\\certificates\\cacert.pem'
      trusted.useclientip: false                      # use clientip for trusted tickets verification
                                                          # This is optional. Please see http://onlinehelp.tableausoftware.com/current/server/en-us/trusted_auth_optional.htm
      trusted.clientip: null                          # IP address of THIS host. Only needed if trusted.useclientip is set to true. Otherwise, just leave it null.

# SMS Settings
      smsaction.enable: true                         # use these settings to enable SMS messages. If false, we won't even check them, and all SMS attempts will fail
      smsaction.provider: twilio                      # the only allowed provider currently is twilio
      smsaction.account_id: ACa8d9de9fd70e263e2c9c5ab05e7c5473          # account ID, for Twilio this is the account SID from http://twilio.com/user/account
      smsaction.auth_token: b418xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                        # auth token, for Twilio http://twilio.com/user/account
                                                          # This can either be a plaintext password enclosed in quotes, e.g. 'eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciO...'
                                                          # OR it can be a valid path to a .txt file containing the auth token, e.g. 'c:\users\mcoles\authtoken.txt'

# Processing settings
      threads: 2                                      # Number of threads VizAlerts will use to process alerts
                                                           # Higher = More alerts process at once, increased server load
                                                           # Lower = Fewer alerts processed at once, decreased server load
                                                           # Content references within a single alert are processed serially

#data.coldelimiter: ','                          # Character used to separate field values in CSV files exported from Tableau Server
                                                           # Some regions use semicolons for this, in which case switch it to '

• 1. Re: SMS Vizalerts Error Message
          Matt Coles

Hey Roy. Couple oddities going on here.

1. Is this your first time installing VizAlerts? If so, which version did you download? The latest, which I'd recommend, is 2.1.0. If you're just starting out, I'd highly recommend you grab that one (you can even run the new version as an EXE so you don't have to mess with Python!). The reason I ask is because the log output says it's version 10.0.0, which doesn't exist). If you didn't grab that one, which one did you get?

2. Make sure to redact any passwords you stored in your config file if you share them in a public place like this. As it is, if that was your real SMTP password, I'd stronly recommend having it changed to a new password.

3. The issue you're hitting is due to the Twilio library being the wrong version for whatever version of VizAlerts you're working with. My guess is you got an older version of VizAlerts but installed the newer version of the Twilio library. So if you stick with the older version of VizAlerts, you'll need to do "pip uninstall twilio" then "pip install twilio==5.7.0" to get it working. But again, if you use the exe from the newer version, no need to mess with all this stuff in the first place.

• 2. Re: SMS Vizalerts Error Message
            Roy Luo

Matt Coles THanks your comments. I already used the lastest version, but here has an error message I didn't know how is coming...

Could you help me look at it and how to solve this problem

Error Message:

Update YAML :

# Local paths settings
            log.dir: ".\\logs\\"                            # folder write dump log files to. Will be created if it does not exist.
            log.dir.file_retention_seconds: 432000          # retain log files for default of 5 days
            log.level: DEBUG                                # level of log verbosity
            schedule.state.dir: ".\\ops\\"                  # file written to keep the last run state for schedules
            temp.dir: ".\\temp\\"                           # folder to write temporary files to (csv, png for viz exports). Will be created if it does not exist.
            temp.dir.file_retention_seconds: 86400          # retain temp files for default of 24 hours, mostly for debugging

# Email settings
            smtp.serv: 192.168.16.5                             # name of the smtp mail server (change for production use; default is only set to "localhost" for ease of testing with PaperCut: https://papercut.codeplex.com/)
            smtp.port: 25                                       # port to user for SMTP server (default is 25)
            smtp.address.from: BGI-BI@genomics.cn               # default sender for all alerts mail
            smtp.address.to: zhangnanju@bgi.com;jiezhen@bgi.com                    # email address of admin to send failures to

smtp.subject: 'ALERT: VizAlerts failed to execute properly'  # subject line in exception emails sent to admin
            smtp.ssl: false                                 # use encryption when connecting to SMTP server
            smtp.user: BGI-BI@genomics.cn                                 # username for account used to connect to SMTP server (null for no authentication)
            smtp.password: 'C:\VizAlerts\mcoles\password.txt'   # password for account used to connect to SMTP server (null for no authentication)
                                                                # This can either be a plaintext password enclosed in single quotes, e.g. 'myp@ssw0rd'
                                                                # OR it can be a valid path to a .txt file containing the password, e.g. 'c:\users\mcoles\password.txt'
            # Tableau Server settings
            server: 192.168.53.16                           # the Tableau Server instance your alerts will reside on. Recommend using the fully-qualified name, e.g. 'myserver.mydomain.com'
            server.version: 10                              # the major version of Tableau Server that this is running against (just ensures correct URLs in email footers)
            server.user: BGI-BI                             # this is ANY user licensed in Tableau Server--it does not need to be an Admin. It must have access to download summary data from vizalerts.source.viz
            server.user.domain: null                        # the domain for the server.user account.
                                                              # Leave as null (no quotes) if Tableau Server uses local authentication
                                                              # Set to the domain if using AD authentication, e.g. 'mycompany.com'
            vizalerts.source.viz: 'VizAlertsConfig/ScheduledTriggerViews'     # Viz to pull list of alerts from. Must be of the form 'WorkbookURL/ViewUrl'
            vizalerts.source.site: 'Default'                # Site that the vizalerts.source.viz exists within. Leave as 'Default' if using the default site.

# Security settings
            server.ssl: false                               # use HTTPS for Server connections (recommended, but left off by default for testing)
            server.certcheck: false                         # if using HTTPS, validate the certificate (recommended, but left off by default for testing)
                                                               # If you turn this on you MUST specify a certificate bundle in server.certfile
            server.certfile: null                           # Full path to the set of trusted CA certificates to verify your SSL certificate on Tableau Server in .pem format
                                                                # example: 'c:\\certificates\\cacert.pem'
            trusted.useclientip: false                      # use clientip for trusted tickets verification
                                                                # This is optional. Please see http://onlinehelp.tableausoftware.com/current/server/en-us/trusted_auth_optional.htm
            trusted.clientip: null                          # IP address of THIS host. Only needed if trusted.useclientip is set to true. Otherwise, just leave it null.

# SMS Settings
            smsaction.enable: false                         # use these settings to enable SMS messages. If false, we won't even check them, and all SMS attempts will fail
            smsaction.provider: twilio                      # the only allowed provider currently is twilio
            smsaction.account_id: ''                        # account ID, for Twilio this is the account SID from http://twilio.com/user/account
            smsaction.auth_token: ''                        # auth token, for Twilio http://twilio.com/user/account
                                                                # This can either be a plaintext password enclosed in quotes, e.g. 'eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciO...'
                                                                # OR it can be a valid path to a .txt file containing the auth token, e.g. 'c:\users\mcoles\authtoken.txt'

# Processing settings
            threads: 2                                      # Number of threads VizAlerts will use to process alerts
                                                                 # Higher = More alerts process at once, increased server load
                                                                 # Lower = Fewer alerts processed at once, decreased server load
                                                                 # Content references within a single alert are processed serially

data.coldelimiter: ','                          # Character used to separate field values in CSV files exported from Tableau Server
                                                                 # Some regions use semicolons for this, in which case switch it to ';'

• 3. Re: SMS Vizalerts Error Message
              Matt Coles

Roy, can you zip up your entire VizAlerts folder and email it to me?

• 4. Re: SMS Vizalerts Error Message
                Roy Luo

Matt Coles  Hi Matt, for twilio account I'm not sure sth and I wanna ask you.

1.When I registered in twilio website and I got the account ID and auth token, so i can apply this two things into yaml file. so when yaml setting done,  can I say I can get the sms in my cell phone when I run that same email  script?

2.If i get the sms in my cell phone, can I say when I run the script once, and I can get one sms message? and is it for free, right?

• 5. Re: SMS Vizalerts Error Message
                  Matt Coles

1. Once you've set up your Twilio account with them, and put your account ID and auth token into the vizalerts.yaml file and flipped the smsaction.enable setting to "true", then you can now build alerts that send SMS messages. You will use the field "SMS Action *" and the other SMS fields to do so.

2. I'm not sure what you mean with this question. Yes, you can build an alert that sends an SMS message. See the User Guide for more info on how to do that. For testing, add a comment to it in Tableau Server with the text "test_alert", and then run the vizalerts.py script again. It will run the alert once, so your SMS message should be sent at that point.

• 6. Re: SMS Vizalerts Error Message
                    Roy Luo

Thanks Matt Coles your response. But somehow I still not receive the sms message to my cell phone. Not sure where's error problem.  For safe reason, I have sent the yaml file and error message to your mail-box instead of here. so could you help me to look at it.

• 7. Re: SMS Vizalerts Error Message
                      Toby Erkson

Roy Luo ,

I branched this as a new question since it's a different topic and the parent question was answered.

Please keep questions separated as bunching them together makes it difficult for others to find solutions if they have a similar problem.

Have the post title be descriptive of the issue i.e. don't use the same title for different posts.

Please click the button if someone's post provides the solution to your problem.

Thanks

• 8. Re: SMS Vizalerts Error Message
                        Roy Luo

Thanks Toby Erkson your response, but whatever my topic in here is " SMS Vizalerts Error Message ", and I ask question is related with Twilio and SMS message questions, so I think my question not fix currently, Could you also help me to fix it? Thanks much.

• 9. Re: SMS Vizalerts Error Message
                          Toby Erkson

Instead of using Twillo, which just adds another layer of "stuff", why not just try regular SMS using a phone number?  Include this in your "default_allowed_recipient_address" parameter  The below is for Sprint and ATT text messaging.

.*@messaging\.sprintpcs\.com|.*@txt\.att\.net

You use the cell phone number instead of an email address e.g. 5035551234@txt.att.net.

With this method you can keep the SMS setting smsaction.enable as false but still send text messages

Although, this method is only good for simple text messages.

• 10. Re: SMS Vizalerts Error Message
                            Roy Luo

Thanks Toby Erkson your new method. It seem sounds interesting another way to send message. But can I know this method can do the Warning threshold function? and what the pricing for this method? Could you send me the whole yaml file with this method for me look at it? Thanks much~

• 11. Re: SMS Vizalerts Error Message
                              Toby Erkson
                              1. I don't understand what you mean by "warning threshold".
                              2. There is no cost unless the recipient gets charged for text messages.
                              3. There's no need to see in my configuration (.yaml) file as there is nothing special or different about it.

I'm simply suggesting another way to send a simple text message using the existing VizAlerts without having to actually use a SMS service.  It is no different than sending someone a text message using an email application like Outlook, Gmail, etc.   Of course the downside is getting someone's mobile phone number, thus this isn't what I would call a practical solution, but it works for at least small batch testing.  Anyway, we should stick to the original question at hand because this isn't helping your current situation.

• 12. Re: SMS Vizalerts Error Message
                                Roy Luo

Thanks Toby Erkson.  Just one quick question, I see your copy below message in your reply there, may I know put this word in which file? (.*@messaging\.sprintpcs\.com|.*@txt\.att\.net  )

and I still not clear this method much, could you tell me more details

• 14. Re: SMS Vizalerts Error Message
                                  Roy Luo

Thanks Matt Coles , it's very helpful. May I know this guideline have another language versioin, such like chinese version for reading?

1 2 Previous Next