9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2017 3:02 AM by sreekanth samudrala

Hide filters dynamically

sreekanth samudrala

Hi Team,

I need to hide filters dynamically based on sheet selection.

Have 3 sheets in my work book.

Link followed :

https://theinformationlab.co.uk/2017/01/26/hiding-parameters-filters-tableau/ https://public.tableau.com/profile/andrew.pick#!/vizhome/HidingParametersandFilters/Dashboard1

Work book followed:

Tableau Public

Used the same approach like vertical containers and blank sheets.He(Andrew Pick) used the 10.1 version and done the things and posted in tableau public.

He said that it will not work in desktop/reader but will work in server.I have downloaded the workbook and done the same things using 10.2 version.

The same restriction of filters underneath of container experienced my self in desktop.

But when I published in server using 10.2 version still its not working for me. But the functionality of show hide filters working, only filters unable to click from my end even in desktop and server.

Is this tool bug or any other work around is there?

Thank you.

Regards,

Sreekanth Samudrala

• 1. Re: Hide filters dynamically
          sreekanth samudrala

Tom WJonathan Drummey

Hi Both,

Any solution on above post please.

It would be a great help.

Thank you.

Regards,
          Sreekanth

• 2. Re: Hide filters dynamically
            Tom W

Sreekanth,

You'd have a better chance of getting help if you provided an actual sample of your workbook and problem versus asking others to follow through existing tutorials in order to replicate the problem.

• 3. Re: Hide filters dynamically
              sreekanth samudrala

Tom W

Unfortunately we have restrictions on laptops to upload any sort of documents in portals.

So that is why am unable to do and have given the 100 percent exact scenario document and caveat that Andy mentioned in his portal(given above).

Please consider the above document as 100 percent requirement.

Thank you for understanding.

Regards,

Sreekanth

• 4. Re: Hide filters dynamically
                sreekanth samudrala

Tom WJonathan Drummey

Hi Tom,Jon,

I have got the approval to upload the workbook.

Requirement 1: Headers: Furniture should be GREEN  and Office Supplies should be BROWN in Color in header area not the pane values and like wise each Region header color as well.

Requirement 2: Grand Total column in Region/Segment view(Represented in green) pane/rows data should be similar to other regions data.But every Row is getting Bold when I format.

Major Requirement 3 : Dynamic  hiding of filters based on View Selection .Here I have given only 1 filter hide as an example but in my actual deliverable have many filters to hide.I have used vertical containers to hide.But underneath filters unable to select. 

Requirement 4 :In Chart I need to show all weeks as axis labels,tried making it as continuous but I am missing some step.Week1,Week2......Week 52.

Thank you for understanding.

Regards,

Sreekanth

• 5. Re: Hide filters dynamically
                  Tom W

Can you please stop tagging Jonathan and I in your replies?

I only engaged in your earlier post to try and help you improve your post. I'm glad to see you've been able to upload a packaged workbook as it will help others help you. Me personally, I don't have time right now to help you in detail.

Here's my quick thoughts;

1. I don't believe it's possible

2. When you right click a value in the grand total column and click format, make sure you're applying text formats to the 'Grand Total' portion of the format section which appears on the left

3. I'm not really familiar with this approach but I'd expect there to be a bunch of limitations as it's a workaround, not a feature.

4. I don't see any missing weeks in the chart. A continuous axis would potentially fix this where you just show the week number, or maybe use the 'Show missing values' function. It depends on the data you have in your real scenario.

• 6. Re: Hide filters dynamically
                    sreekanth samudrala

Hi Tom,

2. I tried all the way but I feel it's not possible or can you please do it in my workbbook please?

3. I don't want same approach, do you have any alternative method for me?

4. If you observe data labels showing when you mouse hover on the graph,but X-axis doesn't showing Week1,Week3,Week5 as axis headers.

Thank you.

Regards,

Sreekanth

• 7. Re: Hide filters dynamically
                      Jonathan Drummey

Hi,

Requirements 1+2 are trying to make Tableau work like Excel or a traditional tabular reporting tool, and Tableau is not Excel nor it is a traditional tabular reporting tool. I’ve got a longer piece on this topic in my response to another thread at https://community.tableau.com/message/618807#618807 <https://community.tableau.com/message/618807#618807>. That said I can conceive of a way to do this via restructuring the data but it would be really complicated and might introduce other problems around filtering, performance, etc. so those requirements would need to be considered. This would take several hours (at least) of effort to analyze and then build, if you really need this I can put you in touch with a consultant.

Requirement 3 is treating Tableau like it’s a fully customizable application (such as a web application built with JavaScript), and Tableau isn’t built for this either. Theoretically this is feasible but we’d need to know a lot more about what exactly you are trying to do e.g. what the nesting of the filters is supposed to be like, what values the filters are based on, etc. This may also require restructuring the data and calculations. Again, this would likely take several hours and is beyond what kind of pro bono help I can offer, I could put you in touch with a consultant.

Requirement 4 is problematic because of space and is a sign that whoever generated the requirements is not taking into consideration how humans see and understand data and interactive data visualization. Given 52 to 53 weeks in a year that requires roughly 97 characters plus 55 sets of white space between the characters. You can set the axis to continuous and fix the axis tick marks at 1 as in the attached screenshot but you can see in that Tableau is skipping labeling every other week because there isn’t enough space. If the screen was wide enough and/or the font small enough then you could label the axes all 53 weeks. However labeling all the weeks creates extraneous visual noise because of the number of values, it’s exceedingly difficult with 53 week values to figure out which mark goes with which axis label value (e.g. is the highest bar associated with week 48, 49, 50, or 51?), is ignoring interactive features in Tableau such as tooltips, highlighting, displaying labels on highlight or selection, and/or filter actions, and finally if seeing the specific values of a measure for each specific week is absolutely important then a line chart probably isn’t the most appropriate chart type.

Regards,

Jonathan

• 8. Re: Hide filters dynamically
                        Tom W

2. It's possible and it works fine. Right click a cell in the grand total, select format and then change the font and bold under the 'grand total' header on the left. Pay attention to the fact that the front for the worksheet is different for the font in the grand total which changes how 'bold' it is.

3. I don't have any alternatives except for doing a separate dashboard for each 'version' you want to display with the filters setup specifically for that version.

4. The x axis in the chart you provided called 'Week' shows every single week, Week 1, 3 and 5 are not missing when I view it.

• 9. Re: Hide filters dynamically
                          sreekanth samudrala

Thanks Jonathan.

It would a great help if my Requirement 3(hiding of filters based on sheet selection using parameter) is achievable. Please help me on this.Thanks again.

First Worksheet has 5 filters and second one has no filters in it.(or even the attached workbook has one filter if that is done then I can do rest)

Common parameters are: Date and View Selection

So when I toggle 2nd sheet using parameter then first sheet filters should be hidden in same dashboard.

Regards,

Sreekanth Samudrala