4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2017 5:22 AM by Niranjan Patil

How to add Action filter on tabular data for drill down and to show/ hide tabular data format?

Niranjan Patil

Hello,

I am new to Tableau.

I have one master data set which contains data of other source tables .Master table contains only few attributes(columns) information from source tables and it is identified by the column name called 'Source Type' in the master table.

My requirement is to filter out the data from master table when user clicks on particular row and to show only related information from source table.

I have done this using below steps:

Step 1 : Created tabular details worksheets for each of the tables.(In my example 4 sheets includes 1 master and 3 other source sheets).

Step 2 : Added Free text search box using parameter on master table to allow user to search. (on all columns).

Step 3 : Created Dashboard and added master sheet on top in one  container. And then added source sheets on top of each other using other layout container just below master details container.

Step 4 : Added action filter (source : master table and Target: All other source sheets).

As per my understanding, Action filter of Tableau works by looking at common dimension in respective tables. Similar to the where condition using "AND" and then filter out the data. Is that correct ?

Now user can apply search on master tables and get interested information. And if user wants to drill down for further information which is present in there respective source tables, user clicks on row and he should be able to see particular information right below from source table.

Here is output screen from dashboard  which I am looking for :

Screenshot_2.PNG

As you can see in when I click on highlighted row from master table it returns me respective row from source table by matching all available dimensions in source table. Here you can see in "Details" table data came from source type "ABC"  with additional dimensions/attributes from respective source table like here it is column called "Domain".

Problems I am facing are :

1.Source sheets which I have put on top of each other using container remains as it is if I don't select any row from master tables. All row headers are visible one below each other. How do I make it hide and keep it blank and only make it display/visible when user selects/click on any row.

2. It is not working correctly as when select first time it shows the details but again if I make any other selection it doesn't work as  before selection remains same as it is.

2. Is their any way to clear free text search box. ( currently I need to manually erase the search text).

3. When I drag dimensions on row shelf Tableau add group conditions (aggregation) on column and show respective values. How do I display raw data as it is without any aggregation like we can see when we view data on data source (simple tabular format).

For Example :    Marital status    account  country

single           mike       US

John       UK

Merry      Canada

Married         Hank      France

I would like show in below format:

Marital status    account     country

single                 mike        US

single                 John        UK

single                 Merry       Canada

Married               Hank       France

4. My data set size is large  so how to handle performance issue (for free text search box to get search results).

Here is dashboard screenshot:

Screenshot.PNG

Please find attached  Tableau workbook and sample excel data(I have created which is in similar format to my original data)

Thanks

Niranjan.

• 1. Re: How to add Action filter on tabular data for drill down and to show/ hide tabular data format?
          Jim Dehner

Hi

Very interesting workbook - I like to see it when you get it working.

The issue you face has to do with a mis-interpretation

"...As per my understanding, Action filter of Tableau works by looking at common dimension in respective tables. Similar to the where condition using "AND" and then filter out the data. Is that correct ? ..."

The way Actions works is they pass a value from one worksheet/dashboard to another but

1 that value MUST be in a Dimension/Measure that is on the Filter shelf of each of the sheets

2 the filter must be applied to the worksheets involved

see the 5 min video at Dashboard Interactivity Using Actions

it will help the underestanding

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to add Action filter on tabular data for drill down and to show/ hide tabular data format?
            Niranjan Patil

Thanks Jim. I did watch the video. I have done the same thing to get the interactivity as per my requirement.

Actually its working but not quite well. As I mentioned that I have put all my three source table data sheets on top of each other so I could see any selection results at same place. But when there is no selection from source sheet I want to keep it as blank space. I have selected "Exclude all values" option in "action-filter" tab but still it does show headers from all sheets.

Any idea on this.  It would really help to get it working.

Thanks,

Niranjan

• 3. Re: How to add Action filter on tabular data for drill down and to show/ hide tabular data format?
              Shinichiro Murakami

1) ??

I think you'd better start from data re-shaping.

Join with appropriate fields.

Simplest case, put one dimension and same field into Text shelf,

Hide header

Then like this.

Blank at no selection.

I think you already know this.

In my case, ABC is primary.

Thanks,

Shin

<< Ambassador Spotlight Here ! >>

• 4. Re: How to add Action filter on tabular data for drill down and to show/ hide tabular data format?
                Niranjan Patil

Hi Shinichiro,

Thanks for such brief reply.

In my case i don't think so data re-shape would help.

Actually  I don't want just filter on "Source_Type"  instead I want to show only particular row from respective table. If I apply filter only on "Source Type" it will give me all rows from the particular source table on selection.

What I need is that it should give me exact match. In master table only few columns present from other source tables and i need it match it on all available dimension which is I am able to get it. Only thing I couldn't get is that how do i keep it blank on no selection as i mentioned i have put them one above each other to get it in same place.

I have updated my question,workbook and excel data ( My apologies I didn't include one column before in source table)

Here are screen shots

Screenshot_1.PNG

Screenshot_2.PNG

As you can see in when I click on highlighted row(on any common column from both the table) from master table it returns me respective row from source table by matching all available dimensions/columns in source table. Here you can see in "Details" data came from source type "ABC"  with additional dimensions/attributes from respective source table like here it is column called "Domain".

Thanks,

Niranjan