5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2017 10:51 AM by Jim Dehner

Parameter Applied to All Sheet

Taylor Losi

Hello, I am creating a workbook that displays data for each team among a professional sports league. I need to blind the report per team, so I've created a filter that calls a list parameter (where you select a team name) and then the filter changes all other team names to Other (while still displaying the name of the selected team). This enables me to show all of the other teams' data, but without showing which team specifically that data belongs to. This parameter filter combo works well on a dashboard, but the parameter resets between dashboards. Does anyone know how I can make the parameter applied to all sheets within the workbook?

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Parameter Applied to All Sheet
          Jim Dehner

Hi

Could you provide some add information = parameters are universal in a workbook and apply to all work sheets and d/b see attached

Could you explain where you are seeing something different

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Parameter Applied to All Sheet
            Taylor Losi

Thanks Jim.

I've created a story with multiple dashboards. The first dashboard is just the parameter selection. For some reason, when I select the parameter value in that dashboard, it does not apply the selection to the rest of the dashboards. But if I change the parameter value in the respective sheet, it changes the parameter value in the dashboard and subsequent sheets. Is there a way to define the action to stem from the dashboard?

• 3. Re: Parameter Applied to All Sheet
              Jim Dehner

Well there is your issue - story boards are static and only refreshed backwards (from the story back to the d/b when initiated by the user - at the present time you can't get around that one

So what to do

you can use dashboards like I did in the file I sent - or you can place all the individual sheets in a single dashboard and use a sheet swap to jump from one to another or you can use multiple dashboards and use actions to jump from one to another

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

• 4. Re: Parameter Applied to All Sheet
                Taylor Losi

Ah man that is a bummer. Thanks for the assistance Jim.

Can I put the dashboards into a story if I use the actions? or will I have to present them as just dashboards?

• 5. Re: Parameter Applied to All Sheet
                  Jim Dehner

It is the story that will not update automatically - you are better off using D/B - probably not what you wanted to hear - to be honest - I don't see a whole lot of applications using story boards - most use D/B

Jim