2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2017 12:09 PM by Darren Toal

Maps - Using the Colour Make to Show two Different Dimensions over one City

Darren Toal

Hello All,

I am plotting dimensions to cities using the map. I have two different measures for some cities and I want the different dimensions to be a different colour.

For example, I have two items that I wish to show being represented in Toronto but Tableau is only defaulting to the colour of one of them.

How can I get it to show that I do actually have two items for Toronto?

Many thanks,

Darren

• 1. Re: Maps - Using the Colour Make to Show two Different Dimensions over one City
          Cathy Bridges

It's hard to know without seeing your workbook, but I can think of one reason.

Tableau is only going to plot one x/y coordinate for a given location. So is Tableau actually plotting both, but they're one on top of the other? I ran into this situation when I was mapping by zip code - regardless of what dimension I had, Tableau plots the center of the zip code, so all my marks were sitting right on top of one another, with only the top one visible. I resolved this by slightly altering the lat/long. So instead of the generated lat/long, I did it along these lines:

New Lat:

IF Cust=CustA then lat + .0000001

ELSE IF Cust=CustB then lat - .0000001

ELSE lat end

New Long:

IF Cust=CustC then long + .0000001

ELSE IF Cust=CustD then long - .0000001

ELSE long end

This resulted in 4 marks plotted very close together, but not right on top of each other. You may have to experiment a little bit to figure out how many decimal places will work best for your situation.

• 2. Re: Maps - Using the Colour Make to Show two Different Dimensions over one City
            Darren Toal

Many thanks, Cathy.

I think this is what I need to do. Just alter one slightly.

Thanks for taking the time.