3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2017 1:29 PM by Jason Alexandre

Data Representation in Line chart

Sudha Viswanathan

Hi,

I have a line chart with X axis as Date and Y axis as a measure as shown below:

There are three measures as shown - Count (Blue), movingAvg(Red) and Flag(Orange).  Flag can be either 0 or 1; 0 means it's normal and 1 represents an outlier.  As shown in the figure, the count on Sep 10th is flagged.  Is there a better way to represent the flag instead of the sudden spike as shown.

Thanks,

Sudha

• 1. Re: Data Representation in Line chart
          Jason Alexandre

Hi Sudha,

With knowing exactly what you want to do, would you data be amenable to a control chart?  There is a great step-by-step tutorial.

Control Charts

Regards,

Jason

• 2. Re: Data Representation in Line chart
            Sudha Viswanathan

Hi Jason,

I do not want tableau to decide my outliers.  We have rules for identifying outliers and based on that we have the flag as 0 or 1 as shown:

When I represent these numbers in a line chart, there is sudden spike when the flag is 1.  I want to know, how to gracefully display a flagged data point.  Here, I want to highlight the count for Sep 10 2016 as that is an outlier (with flag value=1)

Thanks,

Sudha

• 3. Re: Data Representation in Line chart
              Jason Alexandre

Hi Sudha- sorry to just see this.  I was on vacation the last week of August and have been preoccupied with non-data parts of my job  since then.  Could you create a calculated field called Flag/No Flag (or whatever) and move it on color area of the marks card?  Not sure how your data is set-up.  I think you would need to do a table join of some sort to what you have established as your outlives for your measures and then create the calculated field.

E.g.

IF [Flag] = 0 THEN 'In-Control'

ELSEIF [Flag] =1 THEN 'Out-of-Control'

END