4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2017 8:42 PM by Vista Sword

Semi Primary Filter

Vista Sword

Hi All,

Is there any way that I will make a Semi Primary filter? meaning for setting up relevant values.

For Example:

Filter 1(Primary), Filter 2(Semi Primary), Filter 3(one of the secondary)

Filter 2 and Filter 3 is relevant to Filter 1

Filter 3 is relevant to Filter 2 and also Filter1

I have many secondary filter I also want it to be relevant in (Semi Primary)Filter 2

• 1. Re: Semi Primary Filter
          Zhouyi Zhang

Hi, John

You can use show "Only Relevant Values" from the filter option, see below snapshot

Hope this could help

ZZ

• 2. Re: Semi Primary Filter
            Vista Sword

Hi Zhouyi,

I tried that. For my scenario there 2 and more secondary filters. I want to make some of them as Primary or Semi-Primary.

For Example:

Lets say there is a filter Sub-sub category. I want it to show only relevant values based on the Sub-Category also not on Category Filter alone.

• 3. Re: Semi Primary Filter
              Zhouyi Zhang

Hi, John

In this case, you can add sub-category to context as shown below, and then set the sub-sub category (In my sample, I use manufacturer) show all values in context so that the list of sub-sub category only based on the sub category.

Not sure this will meet your requirement or not, but just give some ideas to you, hopefully it could help you get a better solution.

I attached the sample workbook as well for your reference. If you have further question, you can modify the workbook and post back.

ZZ

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Semi Primary Filter
                Vista Sword

Hi Zhouyi,

Thank you very much for the insight! But it still shows the non-relevant values. Maybe there is a problem in our back-end side? Can tableau do the filtering function just like in excel? That it shows only relevant values based on whatever column you are filtering?