12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2017 1:54 PM by Molly Romig

Ghost filter messing with me!

Molly Romig

Hi everyone,

I am totally new to Tableau, and I'm a volunteer evaluating its usefulness for a Mexican non-profit. I'm using the Trial version of Tableau Desktop 10.3, so I have 11 days left and a lot to figure out in that time. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as soon as possible!

The problem I'm running into right now is that even though all of my records are showing in "Data Source", in all of my sheets, it looks like I am filtering the "Estado" (State) field. I made a filter for that field, but even with "All" selected, there are two out of four states that exist in my data that are simply not there.

I have refreshed the data source multiple times to make sure that is not the problem. I have deleted the filter and added it back in. Can someone please take a look?

Thanks!

-Molly

P.S. I tried to attach the packaged workbook, but I'm not totally confident it worked. Let me know.

• 1. Re: Ghost filter messing with me!
          Rajeev Pandey

Based on my understanding you might have added the datasource filter and excluded the two values. Go to the data source page,Top right corner ->Edit > remove everything  from there.

HOPE THIS HELPS

Warm Regards,

Rajeev Pandey

• 2. Re: Ghost filter messing with me!
            Molly Romig

No, I forgot to clarify that, but that is not the issue. I haven't added any datasource filters (just double checked), and as mentioned previously, all records show up in the Data Source tab. Thanks though!

• 3. Re: Ghost filter messing with me!
              Catherine Brown

The issue is with the field 'Riesgos de E.Coli'.  Only the Chiapas and Oaxaca states have values for this field.  Your data source filter is excluding null values for this field, so all other states are being removed from the view.  Once you remove this, you'll also have to add all of the Municipio values (these may have been filtered out by default, as these municipalities are in the other states).  Once I put those two filters on, I see the other states.

• 4. Re: Ghost filter messing with me!
                Catherine Brown

You'll want to change this in these two places:

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Ghost filter messing with me!
                  Catherine Brown

Also, if the organization is seriously considering buying it, you should speak to Tableau Sales and see what they can do for you.  They may be able to setup a demo specifically tailored to a non-profit and put you in contact with a similar customer to hear how they use it.  Coming from several education non-profits, they have been very helpful and accommodating to the limitations we face.

• 6. Re: Ghost filter messing with me!
                    Molly Romig

Oh, fantastic, that did it! But I'm unclear about how, if that is a data source filter, why it doesn't show up in the Data Source tab?

Also, I think this is a related problem: I have the marks set to change size based on the field "Number of Risks"; however, only 0 and 3 are displaying in the legend. This did not used to be the case. Would you mind taking a look at the corrected workbook?

Thanks so much!!

• 7. Re: Ghost filter messing with me!
                      Molly Romig

And thanks for that suggestion. The only contact I've had from Tableau has been form messages encouraging me to take the tutorials and use the Community message boards, which didn't really give me the idea they are willing to give one-on-one help...Additionally, a message I sent to support about another issue went three days without reply. But I will try to contact Sales -- theoretically they should be motivated to talk to me?

• 8. Re: Ghost filter messing with me!
                        Catherine Brown

Tableau used the 'Data Interpreter' to pre-clean your data.  I think this is where those filters came from.  The ones in the data source tab, typically don't show up in the filters you can use within your workbook (If memory serves, this behavior has changed over time).  Versus, the data source filters that you had, are applied across the data source, but not applied before the data is in the view.  At least that has been my experience, I haven't been using 10.3 for very long.  We are slow to upgrade.

As for the number of risks, a lot of the data in the detail is causing this behavior.  Perhaps try changing these to 'Tooltip' rather than detail.  The 'detail' generally gets rendered in the view somehow.  You will have to rebuild your tooltip once you switch these over.

• 9. Re: Ghost filter messing with me!
                          Catherine Brown

Yes, see if they can tell you who your sales representative is based on your industry and location.  Usually help is pretty responsive, but if it something more complex they may take some more time to research the problem.  I generally start with the forums/ideas before reaching out to help.  Most of the time, someone has asked the question before me.

• 10. Re: Ghost filter messing with me!
                            Molly Romig

That indeed fixed it! I'm sorry to keep bothering you, but one last thing...So now, instead of 0 and 3 showing in the legend for mark size, there is now 0, 2, 4, 6, 7...Any idea why this is? My data only has 0,1,2, and 3.

• 11. Re: Ghost filter messing with me!
                              Catherine Brown

Now it is aggregating too much!  I'm not familiar with your data, so some of those fields could stay attributes rather going into the tool tip.  I recommend adding one which uniquely defines each group you are interested in.  That should fix your number of risks.  Everything you want to be part of the grouping should be in the view somehow.  You add too much, your aggregation gets too specific (your prior problem), you add too little, and it aggregates more than you want.

• 12. Re: Ghost filter messing with me!
                                Molly Romig

Fascinating...Well, I'm learning that Tableau is way more complicated than it looks! Which is useful information. I will keep playing with those fields. And in the meantime, mark your original answer as "Correct". Thanks for all of your help!!