2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2017 10:49 AM by Manuel Velasquez

Try to get my head around LOD

Klaas Tea

Want to see the sales amount for the last order date of the customer but the table aggregates all sales over the 4 years? Why is that. Thanks a lot

last orderdate  { FIXED [Customer ID]:MAX([Order Date])}

Sales for the last orderdate:   { FIXED [Customer ID],[lastbestellung]:SUM([Sales])} (not working)

• 1. Re: Try to get my head around LOD
          Jim Dehner

Klass this is a very good question

the way LOD expressions work is they look at all the dimensions before the colon  :    and create permutations based on those combinations - in you last order expression that is just Customer - so for each customer the expression determines the last order date (Max ) (the first expression

I can't explain what is happening with your second statement - I assume that the second dimension is the last order date you calculated in the first step and when I include it in an LOD expression - like you - I get a sum of all sales -

But you can use your first expression in either IF statements or as a filter

in an if statement           if [Order Date]=[fixed last order date] then [Sales] else 0 end

Will result in this - the first column is all sales - the second is only last date sales

As a binary Filter     [Order Date]=[fixed last order date]   (set to true )

Results in this

and with either you can get the lower level detail

Let me know if this helped

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

• 2. Re: Try to get my head around LOD
            Manuel Velasquez

Hi Klaas

Another way to get the result you are looking is to nest LOD expression and IF ELSE statement, to tell Tableau for each Customer find the maximum order date, then sum the sales for that day.

Something like this

1.PNG

To double check the result in Tableau, notice that for each customer you will have one Last Sales value.

2.PNG

Removing, Order ID and Order date

3.PNG

Attached .twbx file for reference

Let me know if this helps!

Manuel Velasquez