7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2017 8:58 AM by Abhilash Sharma

Conceptual help for tabular data report/Tableau 10.3

Mike Czyzewski

Hi! 

First time Tableau user, slowly hacking my way through tutorials, but I have a very tight deadline for a client report. 

Client has a previously existing report which is built in Excel, copied to Word and printed/emailed for distribution.  They want to start using Tableau and want to keep the previous format.  Source data is a series of spreadsheet exports. 

Here's the first third of the report, I've generalized as best I can:

All Time Revenue
      Most Recent Month RevenueFull Year Revenue Goal2017 Revenue% to Full Year Revenue Goal
      Company A$xxx$xxx$xxx$xxx%xxx
      Company B$xxx$xxx$xxx$xxx%xxx
      Sum$xxx--Blank----Blank----Blank----Blank--

I understand that Tableau is super awesome for visualizing data and the report I need to build would be much easier in spreadsheet software, but that's not an option as per client requirement.

Are there any general tips you can give me for building out a table report like this in Tableau?  I've imported my data into Tableau and have started using filters to compute the numbers, but I am having trouble getting the numbers into an organized table. 

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Conceptual help for tabular data report/Tableau 10.3
          Deepak Rai

Hi Mike,

I created a mockup conceptual as per your Screenshot. I used superstore data and profit as measure and made goal as 25% more than actual in data.

You need to have following calculations to get last month data. first you have to find the latest Month from your dataset and then if that matches with your Order Date (Month) then you have to show that profit.

Thanks

Deepak

To get what is Last Month, use this Formula:

The Order Date(Months) is a custom field  from Order date. Right Click Order date,Custom date and Select Months. I t would give you new field [Order Date (Months)]

and to get profit:

Hope it Helps!!!

Thanks

Deepak

• 2. Re: Conceptual help for tabular data report/Tableau 10.3
            Mike Czyzewski

Hi, Deepak!

One problem with my report is that Company B uses a calendar year for full year data and Company A uses different fiscal dates. .  Thus, I can not easily filter on what should be a basic measure.  Also, All Time Revenue are measured using different time periods. 

Any ideas on how to hurdle this issue?

• 3. Re: Conceptual help for tabular data report/Tableau 10.3
              Deepak Rai

Then you have to write few calcs which I can only suggest if I see some data or mock workbook.

Thanks

Deepak

• 4. Re: Conceptual help for tabular data report/Tableau 10.3
                Mike Czyzewski

Deepak, try this link for data.

All Time RevenueMost Recent Month RevenueFull Year Revenue Goal2017 Revenue% of Full Year Revenue Goal
                Company A$XXX$XXX$XXX$XXX%XXX
                Company B$XXX$XXX$XXX$XXX
                %XXX
                Sum$XXX--Blank----Blank----Blank----Blank--

I've recreated the first part of the report.  Here are some details:

• All Time Revenue
                  • Company A: Field GF_Date less than 7/1/2017.  Any GF_Type with the word "pay" in it should be excluded.  "GF_Campaign" field exclude blanks.
                  • Company B: Field GF_Date 11/1/2016-6/30/2017.  Any GF_Type with word "pay" in it should be excluded.   "GF_Campaign" no exclusions, use all. 
                • Most Recent Month Revenue
                  • Company A: Field GF_Date 6/1/2017 to 7/1/2017.  Any GF_Type with the word "pay" in it should be excluded.  "GF_Campaign" field exclude blanks.
                  • Company B: Field GF_Date 6/1/2017 to 7/1/2017.  Any GF_Type with word "pay" in it should be excluded.   "GF_Campaign" no exclusions, use all. 
                • Full Year Revenue Goal
                  • These are hard coded. 
                    • Company A: 1,200,000
                    • Company B: 240,000
                • 2017 Revenue
                  • I can figure these out myself
                • % of Full Year Revenue Goal
                  • Simply 2017 Revenue/Full Year Revenue Goal

Questions:

How can I easily edit row/column headers? 

How do I sum up All Time Revenue ?

Thank you so much! 

• 5. Re: Conceptual help for tabular data report/Tableau 10.3
                  Abhilash Sharma

Hi Mike,

Answer to 1st question:

How can I easily edit row/column headers?

Option1:

You can edit them by renaming them in the dimension/measures pane directly to what you want.

Option2:

In case you have to reuse the same field again in another place then create a Calculated field with your desired name and put the Dimension/measure you want for this field and drag this calculated field in the view.

To answer the 2nd question I would like to know, whether you want to the see the SUM of the remaining measures or not? (as in your reply you have marked them as --BLANK--)

4 of 4 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Conceptual help for tabular data report/Tableau 10.3
                    Mike Czyzewski

Hi, Abhilash!

No, I don't need to see the SUM of the remaining measures.  Only the First Column needs to be summed up.

Thank you!

• 7. Re: Conceptual help for tabular data report/Tableau 10.3
                      Abhilash Sharma

Hi Mike,

As far as I know, Tableau will not be able to provide row/column grand totals specifically for one column in default behaviour. So you will not be getting blank values for the others in case you wish to see grand totals.

However there is a workaround to achieve this(if it's really non-negotiable).

You will have to use 2 dashboards.

The first dashboard will have the Company A and Company B data i.e. first 2 rows of all the measures.

The second dashboard will have Sum value which you can calculate using SUM(ALL TIME REVENUE) function and the remaining can be BLANK using calculated fields.

Then you will have to place both of these one below the other to give a single panel feel.

This is not an ideal workaround, but if it helps you please do let me know.

Thanks!

2 of 2 people found this helpful