6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2017 12:09 AM by matthias.ensgraber

Add Points to a Radius Map

matthias.ensgraber

Hey everybody,

did someone manage to add points to a Radius Map? I used the functioning Example from this thread: Richard Leeke's Super-Charged ZIP Code Radius-Finder and tried to add a shp-file containing various points, which did not work. An alternative solution would be to add points by x/y coordinates.

You'll find attached an example I found on the forums.

Thanks alot!

• 1. Re: Add Points to a Radius Map
          Sarah Battersby

Hi Matthias Ensgraber,

If you are trying to re-create Richard Leeke's radius calcuations, you won't be able to do that with a shapefile unless you also have fields for the latitude and longitude of the points.  The shapefile geometry will come in as latitude(generated) and longitude(generated) in Tableau, and you cannot use these generated fields in calculations.  But, if you had regular fields with the coordinates you should be able to follow the method in the example workbook.

If you don't need the radius to be dynamic - that is, you just have a few set distances that you need to see - I'd suggest just creating the buffers in a GIS and bringing that shapefile into Tableau.  It will be way more efficient if you have a lot of points in your dataset.

-Sarah

Tableau Research

• 2. Re: Add Points to a Radius Map
            matthias.ensgraber

Hi Sarah,

thanks for the reply. I already tried to add the points by using regular coordinates, but then Tableau is no longer able to create a map. You can simulate this by using the example workbook and add the coordinates to the sheet "Map with radius". The sheet "Map, no radius" shows, that plotting these coordinates is possible as long you don't combine them with calculated Circle-coordinates.

My goal is to simulate a GIS-like behavior in Tableau by adding points and dynamic buffers to analyze whether a point lies within this buffer or not.

Regards,

Matthias

• 3. Re: Add Points to a Radius Map
              Sarah Battersby

Sorry, I misinterpreted your original question.  I think what you are asking about is showing both the radius circles and an additional set of point locations as a dual axis?  If that is correct, then you'll need to do a little data manipulation so that all of the x,y coordinates that you want to visualize are in the same field.  I made a quick example to do this using a CSV that I made from the data in the workbook that you attached and joining in a second dataset with random point locations around Arkansas.

I used a full outer join so that I had all of the rows from each table:

And then I created some new calculated fields so that I had one field with ALL of the Latitude coordinates and one with ALL of the Longitude coordinates.  Then when making a dual axis map, you have a single field that you use.

To be able to filter to different locations, you'll need to be sure to keep the 'Null' locations visible - these are the non-buffered points.

-Sarah.

• 4. Re: Add Points to a Radius Map
                matthias.ensgraber

Thank you for this solution. This meets my expectations (not using the dual axis map would be nicer to keep the possibilty to add "layers").

Unfortunately I can't open the Workbook you attached (Tableau 10.2):

Error(1624,74): attribute 'selection-relaxation-option' is not declared for element 'pane' (id: C:\Test\radius_withPoints.twb) Error(1725,81): attribute 'selection-relaxation-option' is not declared for element 'pane' (id: C:\Test\radius_withPoints.twb) Error(1857,74): attribute 'selection-relaxation-option' is not declared for element 'pane' (id: C:\Test\radius_withPoints.twb) Error(1863,177): attribute 'selection-relaxation-option' is not declared for element 'pane' (id: C:\Test\radius_withPoints.twb) Error(1882,189): attribute 'selection-relaxation-option' is not declared for element 'pane' (id: C:\Test\radius_withPoints.twb) Error(1979,74): attribute 'selection-relaxation-option' is not declared for element 'pane' (id: C:\Test\radius_withPoints.twb)

• 5. Re: Add Points to a Radius Map
                  Sarah Battersby

Hi Matthias,

I remade the file in 10.2 and have attached it.  Hopefully that will open okay for you.

I'm surprised by the error that you received!  I would have figured that a file that I made in 10.3 would have given you an error that it was made in a later version of Tableau and not that bunch of text!  Strange... anyway, I hope this helps explain what I did to make the map.

As for layers - yes, I agree, this would be much nicer with layers.  It's definitely on our radar.

-Sarah

Tableau Research

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Add Points to a Radius Map
                    matthias.ensgraber

Hi Sarah,

now the file opens - thank you! I applied your changes to my project and now it works!