2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2017 5:51 PM by Sourav Dasgupta

Restore from a Tableau back up into another server (move from on-prem to cloud)

Sourav Dasgupta

Hi all,

I don't see a lot of content on the forums or otherwise on Tableau restore. I need your help and knowledge wrt the following:-

There are two Tableau servers at a client site where I am.

- On prem (Tab1): Tableau server version 10.1.2

- In cloud (Tab 2): Tableau server version 10.1.3

I am trying to back up Tableau from Tab1 and restore from this back up into Tabl 2. These are the steps that I have followed:-

1. Back up in Tab1 using tabadmin backup tabserver -d -v command
      2. Copy the .tsbak that is created, from Tab1
      3. Paste the .tsback file into a New folder in Tab2
      4. Run command tabadmin stop in Tab2. Wait for tableau server to stop.
      5. Run command tabadmin restore --no-config 'D:\New folder\backupfile.tsbak'. This opens a new command window that has a message saying 'Beginning restore from backupfile.tsbak' but then this window closes in 5 seconds and I am returned back to the main command window.
      6. I then run command tabadmin start in Tab2 to check if the restore was successful. Unfortunately, it wasn't - nothing changed and no content was imported.

What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks,

Sourav

• 1. Re: Restore from a Tableau back up into another server (move from on-prem to cloud)
          Glen Robinson

Hi Sourav,

On Tab 2, are you running the command prompt as an administrator. (Right Click when selecting CMD, and choose 'run as administrator')

This should stop a new window from opening, and you will be able to see the error message and what is causing the restore to fail.

By the looks of it you are creating a backup file called tabserver-yyyy-mm-dd.tsbak, but trying to restore a file called backupfile.tsbak

Is this right?

All the best

Glen

• 2. Re: Restore from a Tableau back up into another server (move from on-prem to cloud)
            Sourav Dasgupta

Thank you for replying Glen.

I was logged in as an administrator so I run the command prompt as it is.

I did take your suggestion though and ran as administrator and now it did give me an error message that says it is not a valid restore file called D:\New. The back up and restore file names are the same, (apologies for the difference in my post above) but that error message tells me that Tableau is unable to read the space between New and folder of New folder in D drive.

So what I did was change the folder name to New and then it just worked. Tableau read the file and restored it correctly.

New lesson learnt, thanks Glen.

Cheers!