7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2017 8:38 AM by Toby Erkson

Downgrade Tableau server from 10.3 to 10.1

Gouse Shaik

Hello everyone,

recently when i upgraded our tableau server from 10.1 to 102 we had issue with lot of our extracts so I decided to upgrade to 10.3 which resolved all 10.2 issues but brought new performance issue like most of our dashboards are rendering really slow. I have raised a ticket with Tableau support but didn't get any response from them till now.

so do you guys think it will be good idea to downgrade to 10.1 from 10.3. will there be any issues if we do.

Thanks,

Gouse

• 1. Re: Downgrade Tableau server from 10.3 to 10.1
          Tom W

I'd check with Tableau Support to see if this is going to be supported. I'm not sure what would happen to your 10.3 created content after you do this. It will probably be backwards compatible (unless it uses 10.3 specific functionality of course) but doing this might cause Tableau not to support any of that content anymore. I really don't know, I'm speculating, but this is what I'd check first.

Also, this is probably a good point in time to reflect on what you could have done differently in the upgrade. I think people are too quick to apply updates without having tested it on a replica of your environment first.

• 2. Re: Downgrade Tableau server from 10.3 to 10.1
            Rick Kunkel

Support is the best avenue for pursuing the open performance and extract refresh issues.

If you do decide to downgrade, please be aware that the simplest-sounding process of uninstalling 10.3 and then installing 10.1 is not supported, and might not work.  If you're keeping the machine the same, you would want to make sure you have a 10.1 backup file handy (not somewhere it will get deleted during the process), then uninstall 10.3, delete the data directories ("c:\ProgramData\Tableau\Tableau Server" by default), install 10.1, and then restore the 10.1 backup.  After this process, the server would obviously be missing the content changes that occurred since the backup was taken.

• 3. Re: Downgrade Tableau server from 10.3 to 10.1
              Gouse Shaik

Thanks for the input Tom. As i am not getting any response on this ongoing issue from past 2 weeks i am little hesitant to ask this question to support team and wait for infinite time.

As you mentioned if any of your dashboard is already upgraded to 10.3 then it won't work in 10.1 so what i did is, i found all those dashboard which are already upgraded and we have downgraded all those dashboard by modifying xml code and it works fine in 10.1 in desktop version however on our test environment i am not able to downgrade the server to 10.1 from 10.3 it is installed but i am unable to login to that server, not sure what happened.

i might be sounding little crazy with all these process right now.

Thanks,

-Gouse

• 4. Re: Downgrade Tableau server from 10.3 to 10.1
                Tom W

I understand your frustration. I would reach out to your account manager and make some noise about this as well. Make sure your case is set at the correct priority in the portal as well.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Downgrade Tableau server from 10.3 to 10.1
                  Gouse Shaik

Thanks a lot and appreciate your help!!

• 6. Re: Downgrade Tableau server from 10.3 to 10.1
                    Charles Ayotte-Trépanier

+1. Tableau Support often doesn't respect its targetted SLA's. If something is really urgent, do what Tom suggested and contact your account manager.

• 7. Re: Downgrade Tableau server from 10.3 to 10.1
                      Toby Erkson

Gouse Shaik

Did you downgrade?  Did you contact Tableau?  If so, what was their answer?