5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2017 4:52 PM by Derek Wong

Removing Duplicates in filter

rajesh.nomula.0

Hello Friends,

I have certain names in my Dimension. It have many Duplicate names in the column. I want to apply this dimension to filter. How to eliminate repeating Names in tableau.

Thanks,

Rajesh

• 1. Re: Removing Duplicates in filter
          Wilson Po

Hi Rajesh,

Tableau typically only display distinct members for filter selections - is there anything that make the duplicates names potentially unique and distinct?  You might try to apply a TRIM() function on the dimension if you suspect there are more space characters that are causing the duplicates to appear.  Is there a screenshot or workbook you can share?

• 2. Re: Removing Duplicates in filter
            rajesh.nomula.0

Hi Wilson,

Please find the Screenshot. I have Campaign name filter like this. I want remove duplicate Campaign names as shown, there are many in the drop down. I have removed the Years at the end of the campaign names. Don't want them to repeat. How can i do that.

Regards,

Rajesh

• 3. Re: Removing Duplicates in filter
              Derek Wong

Rajesh,

I believe you can do this by making a new calculated field and a long IF statement, something like this:

IF [Campaign Name] = "Animal Health"           THEN "Animal Health"

ELSEIF [Campaign Name] = "Animal Health 2014"  THEN "Animal Health"

ELSEIF [Campaign Name] = "Animal Health 2015"  THEN "Animal Health"

ELSEIF [Campaign Name] = "BioProduction 2015"  THEN "BioProduction"

ELSEIF [Campaign Name] = "BioProduction 2016"  THEN "BioProduction"

ELSE [Campaign Name]

END

Of course, this will require you to list every single possibility, which could get cumbersome over time or if you have a lot of data. If your naming conventions are simple, it might be easier to add in a "search" function like CONTAINS(), which will allow you to group many "like" terms. For example, instead of listing out all the years, you could simplify the above to:

IF CONTAINS( [Campaign Name] , "Animal Health" )   THEN "Animal Health"

ELSEIF CONTAINS( [Campaign Name] , "BioProduction" )   THEN "BioProduction"

ELSE [Campaign Name]

END

Let me know if you have issues with that--if you require more help, it may be easier if you post a packaged workbook.

Derek

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Removing Duplicates in filter
                rajesh.nomula.0

Thanks Derek,

I tried its working.

Cheers,

Rajesh

• 5. Re: Removing Duplicates in filter
                  Derek Wong

Sweet!

If that works for you, you can mark my answer as "correct" and it'll close the thread.

Cheers!

Derek