7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2017 6:39 PM by Ken Flerlage

Uploading workbook to Tableau Public

Davdy Smith

So I have desktop 9.3.x and have a whole bunch of sheets I created and validated and everything is looking good.  But it looks like I cannot upload this TWBX to Tableau Public in any way?

Is that true?  Or am I missing something?

• 1. Re: Uploading workbook to Tableau Public
          MANI BOJJA

Hi Davdy,

Did you extract the data before exporting the packaged workbook ?

Thanks,

Mani

• 2. Re: Uploading workbook to Tableau Public
            Wilson Po

Hi Davdy,

You should be able to publish a 9.3x workbook to Tableau Public (even though it is now a higher version).  Tableau publishing should allow for forward compatibility;  there would not be any features or functions that you would have implemented on 9.3x that is not currently available on Tableau Public.

I think you might have gotten the rule based off the fact that publishing does not support backwards compatibility at the moment.  In the situation that you have built and implemented 10.3 features in a workbook, a 9.2 Server would not understand how to handle those.  Are you getting a warning that you need help with or was this just based off of concern not being able to publish? Alternatively, you should be able to install 10.3 Desktop and upgrade the file accordingly.

• 3. Re: Uploading workbook to Tableau Public
              Davdy Smith

I just have it saved on my desktop.  When I went to publish, I needed a server.  I went to Tableau Public and logged in.  Cannot see anywhere to upload my file.  SO, maybe there are other steps I have to take, but I cannot even find anywhere to upload a twbx on Tableau Public. I am a novice here, as you can probably tell.  But I thought it would be easy to just publish it or upload the file.

• 4. Re: Uploading workbook to Tableau Public
                Davdy Smith

Well, that's good news.  But where do I do it?

• 5. Re: Uploading workbook to Tableau Public
                  Wilson Po

Hi Davdy,

Have you taken a look at the instructions here: Save Workbooks to Tableau Public ?

This might help out since it sounds like you might just be in the wrong menus to save your content up.

• 6. Re: Uploading workbook to Tableau Public
                    Matthew Wood

I'm having the same problem. Every post I've found that talks about this starts with, "With your workbook open in Tableau Desktop.." That's the problem, I don't have Tableau Desktop. I downloaded this workbook from an online tutorial for learning purposes, and I only have Tableau Public since I already used up my Tableau Desktop Free Trail and I'm not allowed to open another free trial. Tableau Public doesn't allow you to open the workbook from where it is saved on the local Desktop. It says you can only open workbooks that are saved on Tableau Public. How do I save it to Tableau Public if I can't open it?

• 7. Re: Uploading workbook to Tableau Public
                      Ken Flerlage

You can't. Tableau Public can only open workbooks that are published on Tableau Public. You can create brand new workbooks then upload them to Public, but you cannot open a TWB/TWBX unless it is already on Public.