5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2017 2:19 PM by Paulo Wang

2+2=6 - Three different ways of calculating the same answer, which is giving different results

Paulo Wang

Hi All,

I am having an issue with my calculation where I am trying to get the same answer in three different ways. however, each way it is giving me a different answer.  I have done the search on the forums and I was not able to find the answer I was looking for.  I figure the community here would be able to help me point me in the right direction to try to understand what is going on.

However, each way it is giving me a different answer.  I have done the search on the forums and I was not able to find the answer I was looking for.  I figure the community here would be able to help me point me in the right direction to try to understand what is going on.

Here is the simplified example:

I have the following:

Calculated Field "A" = Formula A

Calculated Field "B" = Formula B

Calculated Field "C" = Formula C

Calculated Field "ABC" = [A] + [B] + [C]

Calculated Field "Formula ABC" = Formula A + Formula B + Formula C

If I manually add the values with a calculator from the results from Calculated Field "A", Calculated Field "B", and Calculated Field "C", it will give a different number than the one output from Calculated Field "ABC", which is also different from the result in Calculated Field "Formula ABC", which is using the same exact formulas as Calculated Field "A", Calculated Field "B", and Calculated Field "C".

Here are the actual outputs from my worksheet:

Measure NamesMeasure Values
      A$0.00
      B$275.92
      C$4.88
      ABC$279.17
      Formula ABC$275.92

Shouldn't all of them give the same answer?  I have a feeling that it has something to do with how information is aggregated and there might be a need to use LOD expressions here. I don't understand why this is the case and would like some help with explaining why this is happening and/or how to fix this.

Thank for the help everyone.  I appreciate it.