1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 31, 2017 2:21 PM by Sarah Battersby

Geomapping

solomonteo.how

Hi guys,

I'm actually trying to do a filled map like this. https://public.tableau.com/profile/solomon.teo#!/vizhome/FacebookCheckin/SubZone

So this filled map is based on the 434 subzones located in Singapore. Because the dataset is provided nicely by data gov. I'm able to do a inner joint and display the data nicely.

However, my other set of data consist of only lat and lng. So i did a reverse geocoding using Google Maps API, OpenMap, OneMap, OpenStreetMap etc to get postalcode etc.

Tableau Public

The lowest level of zone i'm able to get is planning zone(which comprised of only 44 zones).

So i was wondering

1. is there a reversegeo designed for Singapore such that i could go down to sub-zone area.

or

2. i'm able to convert my shp/kml files to something that contain lat and lng or address such that I could do a script that match the values.

KML file as attached.

• 1. Re: Geomapping
          Sarah Battersby

Can you clarify a few things on your question for me...

Are you trying to map the locations that you geocoded and aggregate them / count them up based on the planning zones (44 zones) and subzones (434 subzones)? 

Is the problem that you need to match up the latitude and longitude points that you have from the reverse geocoding with GoogleMaps to identify which zone and subzone each point lies in? 

Do you have a spatial data file for both zones and subzone boundaries (e.g., shapefile or KML)?

If you just need to match up the points to the polygon that they fall into, you should be able to do this in QGIS (free GIS program) and then bring the resulting table into Tableau for visualization and analysis.

If I've mis-understood your questions, let me know.  If you can provide a bit more detail on your desired workflow and the necessary outcome that would be great.

-Sarah

Tableau Research