6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2017 6:38 AM by Li Guo

Set multi-selection filter to relevant and causing unexpected behavior

Li Guo

Hi, there

I want to seek your support on my case: in the dashboard, I have one multi-selection filter (A) and a single selection filter (B), both set to 'show relevant'. Filter A values correspond to different relevant value under filter B, verse vice. The issue I encountered is when there's a value for B, I deselect a value for A, then I change to a different value in filter B, then filter A doesn't seem to show relevant - some values are deselected automatically which are suppose to have value.

Here's details of the issue:

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

I am expecting all brands expect for "tamiflu" for experience management value in filter B - anything I did wrong?

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Set multi-selection filter to relevant and causing unexpected behavior
          Jay Morehart

From what I can tell this is behaving as expected. The option is "Show Relevant" not "Select Relevant". When you deselect Tamiflu, you no longer have the "All" box selected (all is dynamic) so the only things selected for A are the relevant values to B minus "Tamiflu". When you change B, new values *show* in A but are not selected because you have made A an explicit filter rather than dynamic ("All").

What is the use case here? There may be a different way to accomplish your goal, but I would need more info and probably a packaged workbook.

Hope this helps!

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Set multi-selection filter to relevant and causing unexpected behavior
            Li Guo

Hi, Jay

Thank you so much for the reply which totally makes sense to me.

So in this case, we want to select/deselect certain brands (filter A) for different tactic (filter B) while not causing confusion. In the case described above, users deselect Tamiflu and switch to a different tactic without being aware that there are several other brands not selected along with Tamiflu. I know they can always go the brand filter and set to "all" again and then deselect the brand(s), but the dashboard audience is the senior leadership team - I doubt they have time/patience to adjust to this change.

Do you have any recommendation how to make this process less confusing and more intuitively? Thanks

• 3. Re: Set multi-selection filter to relevant and causing unexpected behavior
              Jay Morehart

I am not sure off the top of my head, can you post a packaged workbook (dummy data if necessary, just needs the same functionality)? Is B a single or multi select filter?

• 4. Re: Set multi-selection filter to relevant and causing unexpected behavior
                Li Guo

Hi, Jay

Thanks again. I masked the data and attached a sample workbook here

For example, when I select "Field Aug - RAMP UOR" in filter Performance KPI, then deselect "Tecentriq" in brand, and go back to Performance KPI filter and switch to "Experience Mgmt - ", when you click on brand filter now, you will notice there are several brands been deselected, such as "Access Solution", "Actemra" etc. This is somewhat confusing and easily lead to wrong results while users are not aware of it. So how can we make it more user friendly?

Thanks in advance, look forward to your recommendations.

• 5. Re: Set multi-selection filter to relevant and causing unexpected behavior
                  Jay Morehart

So first thought is that you can change the "select a brand" to an Exclude filter as this is the behavior you are describing (deselecting a product, just excludes that product. Rather than the current behavior: including all but that product within the selected KPI category--which in turn deselects all products NOT in that KPI category):

you can also expose this option to the end-user: (looks like it is)

Other than that, I think your only option would be to change it to show all in context (because of your KPI context filter) to show all products all the time.

Hope this helps!

• 6. Re: Set multi-selection filter to relevant and causing unexpected behavior
                    Li Guo

Hi, Jay

Thank you so much! It may take some time to educate users to exclude rather

than include but at least, it won't cause confusion and wrong data.

Appreciate your help, thanks again.

On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 5:37 PM, Jay Morehart <tableaucommunity@tableau.com>