2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2017 10:55 AM by Devi Kr

Dashboard actions - filters not working as expected

Devi Kr

Hi,

I have used Tableau Desktop v9.2.1 to develop this sample dashboard for the purposes of this issue.

4 sheets on my dashboard are enabled for filtering - Device, Channel, Tactic, Match. When filters on these sheets are applied, the overall value on the top should change/update based on the selection.

But when multiple filters are selected, only the final selection is considered and the previous filters' drop off (although they remain selected).

For Example: With measure Clicks, when my first filter is on 'device = computer', the total value on top matches the clicks for computer alone.

When First filter on 'Device = Computer' and second filter on 'Channel= google'  are selected, only the value for clicks with 'channel = google' is displayed. The filter on device drops off.

I've used Action filters before and they are generally straightforward to implement. Any thoughts on why actions filters here wouldn't work? (attached the packaged workbook for your reference)

Appreciate any input you can provide. Thank you.

• 1. Re: Dashboard actions - filters not working as expected
          Okechukwu Ossai

The filter drops off because Channel, Tactic, Device, Match and Profile worksheets are all used as filters in addition to the Dashboard Action filters. So, clicking on any of the worksheets will filter the entire dashboard irrespective of what the dashboard actions are doing.

You can start by unchecking "Use as Filter" in worksheets where it is not required. Then use dashboard action filters to drive the desired changes.

If you can explain what you want to achieve including the expected results, then I can help check this out for you.

Ossai

• 2. Re: Dashboard actions - filters not working as expected
            Devi Kr

Thank you for your response Ossai. But my requirement is to use the sheets as filters in the dashboard, which is why I have the 'use as filter' ON.

My issue is, when multiple filters are selected, only the final selection is considered and the previous filters' drop off (although they remain selected)

Please see example with my comments in screenshots attached.1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg