7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2017 10:39 AM by Michael Gillespie

Pie chart with data that has no applicable dimension

Jeff Jenkins

Hi There - trying to make a simple pie chart with labels that include % and $.  Seems crazy that this is hard for me but haven't yet figured it out.

using 10.3

can anyone give me a boost on this please?  I originally wanted to have a donut chart but I saw the example with about 20 steps to accomplish...I probably don't want a donut chart that badly!

As a follow-on question about dashboards - the data has 2 columns (expected, actual) for 3 months (Jun, Jul, Aug).  Ideally I'd like to have a filter on the dashboard that lets the user select the month...but if I have to have a calculated field for each month to have a % for the pie chart, how would that work with changing the month with a filter.

Thanks,   Jeff

• 1. Re: Pie chart with data that has no applicable dimension
          Michael Gillespie

Jeff, you need to do a bunch of things!

First, pivot your data on the Data Source tab.  Select all of the columns with numerical values, right-click and pick Pivot.

Now you've got a nice tall table that Tableau can work with.

Next, select the Pivot Field Names column and pick "Split". This will get you 2 new columns.  Rename one of the Months and the other Actual/Expected.

Now go back to Sheet 1.  You need to create a Group on your Month column - you have Aug and August in there, and you want to treat them as the same thing.  Right-click on Months and pick Create, then Group.  Select the 2 you want to group, create the group, name it and you're done.

Now you should be able to create whatever pie charts you want, and use the Month column as a filter to let the users pick what they want to see.

Look at Sheet 2 to see one way you might do it.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Pie chart with data that has no applicable dimension
            Jeff Jenkins

awesome!  Thanks for taking the time to set me straight.

Um, I'm not seeing the pivot option?  I right-click on column name, or hit the drop-down arrow in top right by field name...I get same drop-down either way but it doesn't include 'pivot'.  I looked at Tableau help for pivot that has nice screen shots, when I right click I only get 4 of the 6 available options shown on the Tableau help page.

I'll keep looking for pivot.  Looks like that may help me on some other problems I've been trying to solve.  have thought about making the data look more database like before connecting to it with Tableau, will be cool to be able to do that within Tableau.

• 3. Re: Pie chart with data that has no applicable dimension
              Michael Gillespie

In order to get “Pivot” you have to select MULTIPLE columns – make sure you’re doing that.

And good luck!

Michael Gillespie

M: 651-329-9638

• 4. Re: Pie chart with data that has no applicable dimension
                Jeff Jenkins

My real data has a bunch more numeric columns...so I went overboard selecting those for the pivot & Tableau didn't like it.

So I did the pivot & split - wow, awesome stuff!!!!  I had seen no reference to that previously, must not be studying hard enough

Working on recreating the workbook you sent.  I set the Mark to Pie chart, pull the Actual-Expected dimension to color, add sum of pivot field values as angle/color.  I get a pie chart with 6 sections, makes sense.

I add months to columns shelf - and I have 6 circles (one actual, one expected) rather than three.

Can you tell where I'm going wrong?  still working on it...

• 5. Re: Pie chart with data that has no applicable dimension
                  Jeff Jenkins

maybe I didn't split the data correctly.  Using the data we shared in the worksheet, when I pull Actual/Expected dimension to mark card, I get a pie chart with 50% filled with 2 colors.

When I do same thing with my full data, I get a pie chart with 6 segments.  I'll try the pivot/split thing again to see if I messed it up the first time.

I notice also in the summary field on the right of the page, mine has Actual-Expected with the 6 columns listed;  the shared one that you made the pie chart has SUM(Pivot field values).

• 6. Re: Pie chart with data that has no applicable dimension
                    Michael Gillespie

Glad that was helpful, Jeff.

When you added Months, what are the column headers.  If I recreate what you did, using the new GROUP field for Months to get rid of the alternate naming for August, I get 3 columns, one for each month.

• 7. Re: Pie chart with data that has no applicable dimension
                      Michael Gillespie

IN your shared data set, you have 6 columns:

Jun-Actual, July-Actual, Aug-Acutal

Jun-Expected, July-Expected, August-Expected

We need to turn JUST THOSE COLUMNS into rows in the data set.

What are the corresponding columns in your real data set, and how many are there?