2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2017 2:51 PM by Yingying Zeng

How can we change the data source to the tableau server to extract

Yingying Zeng

QuestionsForTableau.png

Dear Community, I publish the extracted data source to the tableau server and change the dashboard data source as the one on the tableau server.

Based on my understanding, the current data source is the live connection to the tableau server.   There is another option on the tableau server pane is Extract ,which I think it means  extracting the data source to the tableau dashboard .

However, the Create Extract process never ends(takes forever), Can anyone explain to me why it happens and how to use the extract option on the  tableau server.

Thanks a million !!!

• 1. Re: How can we change the data source to the tableau server to extract
          Patrick A Van Der Hyde

Hello Yingying,

The extract mentioned there is to take an extract of the data from the live connection to your Tableau Server.  If you are connected to our live Tableau Server data source and you are publishing to Server then keep this option 'live'. 

Details are in the documentation - Connecting to Data Sources  

I hope that helps

Patrick 

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How can we change the data source to the tableau server to extract
            Yingying Zeng

Hello Patrick,

Thanks so much for your reply.  When you said that to take an extract of the data from the live connection to the tableau server, Does that mean when the user  wants to extract the data from  tableau server to the local workbook,he/she can click the extract button to get the extract data.

After that ,the extract data is going to embed the data in the local workbook instead of connecting to the tableau server. In another word, if the user wants to connect the data to tableau server, it will always live.

What happens to us is that the tableau developer publish  the extract data source ( which originally come from Oracle), the power users connect to the tableau server to get the data source but they want to have the extracted data. Can they do that?

Thanks again!!!