6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2017 8:36 PM by Jeffrey Cheong

Prevent Lookup in Table Calculation to affect running average

Jeffrey Cheong

I just started using Tableau and I am facing some trouble in filtering the data. I had a moving average set of table but I wanted it to show a certain time frame in the table without actually affecting the underlying data. So, I added a lookup formula and selected the range of dates. The problem here is that the data wouldn't show all the months (year 2014 through 2017) but instead they only show the value for the months which has input from the raw data. I am also guessing tableau did not include the months without input in calculating the moving average.

I have attached the workbook and there is two different tab which one of it is with the lookup filter applied and the other one is without. To be clearer, the graph changed after I applied the lookup filter to show a certain timeframe. At the same time, the graph with the lookup filter applied wouldn't show the of every single months (I couldn't see the value of the months even after I label it unlike for the graph without the lookup filter applied)

Can someone help me with this problem? Thank you!

Above are the screenshot of the graphs. The second graph (with lookup filter) as I mentioned earlier, it wouldn't label all the value throughout all the months. Also, the value changes after I applied the lookup filter which it shouldn't be. Can someone help me with this problem? Thank you!