0 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2017 7:20 AM by Ryan Sleeper

TUG Meeting Content: An Introduction to Statistics in Tableau

Ryan Sleeper

Hi everybody!

I've been somewhat surprised with the popularity of a recent blog post, so am providing it along with some additional context for my Q2 content contribution.

If you would like to review the post before reading further, it's about doing anomaly detection in Tableau.

In the tutorial, table calculations are used to detect whether data points are outliers. The dashboard author can control the definition of outlier (i.e. 1, 2, or 3 standard deviations from the mean). I think this would work well as a 30-minute tutorial / discussion for the following reasons:

• It serves a practical application of statistics in Tableau (i.e. avoiding unnecessary panic or celebration)
      • It provides an introduction to both table calculations and statistics in Tableau
      • This is applicable to a wide range of users; it shows new users that this is not impossible to do, but may also be new to veteran users
      • The content can be combined with additional tutorials for table calculations and/or statistics in Tableau.

Please let me know if you have any questions,

- Ryan