3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2017 11:21 AM by Michael Gillespie

How to handle multivalue fields on import for filter

Matt O'Brien

I looking to build some custom jira dashboards for my team in tableau and integrate with some other operational data sources for outages / changes, etc.

for Jira, each item has a a multi value component field that I'd like to use for a filter.

ex:

Jira IDComponentOwner
      XXXX-1Linux, AIXCarson
      XXXX-2LinuxAlshon
      XXXX-3Networking, AIXFletcher
      XXXX-4LinuxCarson

What's the best way to handle this, a custom grouping, splitting the data off to another table? Was hoping there is a simple control for this.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: How to handle multivalue fields on import for filter
          Michael Gillespie

How would you prefer to see the data, Matt?  Multiple columns for n values of "Component"?  Spawn a new row for each instance of a value in "Component?

You can use the SPLIT() function to grab the values from the Component column - you can likely nest multiple SPLITS in one calculation to make sure you capture all the values in a list of arbitrary length.

OR you can do that from the Data Source tab by selecting the column you want to split and picking Split from the pop-up menu.  Tableau will then automatically spilt the data into the requisite number of fields.  You'll get a bunch of individual calculated fields in your data source called Component Split 1, Component Split 2, etc.

Once you've split out the data, if you want rows instead of columns, then you SHOULD be able to pivot those columns from the Data Source pane (although this sometimes doesn't work depending on the overall structure of the data).  Ctrl-click all the columns you want to pivot, right-click and select Pivot from the menu.  That will give you one row for every entry in the Component column.

• 2. Re: How to handle multivalue fields on import for filter
            Jim Dehner

Hi Matt -

You will not be able to pivot data after it has been split - if that is important to you suggest you look at reformatting the data from the source or doing it with sql

Jim

• 3. Re: How to handle multivalue fields on import for filter
              Michael Gillespie

You know, I thought I had gotten that to work at one point.  I must be thinking of something else!