5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2017 7:02 AM by Mark Fraser

Issue with IF THEN

jasmine.ellison

Hello,

I am trying to use this calculation but there is an error because "Expected "Then" to Match "IF" statement at character 37"

IF [Larceny- theft rate] < 1775.4 OR IF [Sheet2 (Juvi)].[Larceny] < 652 THEN "An Alarm System is Not Required"

ELSEIF [Larceny- theft rate] >= 3551 OR IF [Sheet2 (Juvi)].[Larceny] >= 1304 THEN "A Full Security System is Suggested"

ELSE "An Alarm System Is Strongly Suggested" END

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you.

• 1. Re: Issue with IF THEN
          Mark Fraser

Hi Jasmine

From a quick look i don't think you need to reference IF again.... so

IF [Larceny- theft rate] < 1775.4 OR [Sheet2 (Juvi)].[Larceny] < 652 THEN "An Alarm System is Not Required"

ELSEIF [Larceny- theft rate] >= 3551 OR [Sheet2 (Juvi)].[Larceny] >= 1304 THEN "A Full Security System is Suggested"

ELSE "An Alarm System Is Strongly Suggested" END

let me know - in the mean time, i'll double check!

Cheers

Mark

• 2. Re: Issue with IF THEN
            Mark Fraser

the example is nonsense, but i hope it shows how to structure the function

also... you may find you need to wrap [Larceny- theft rate] in SUM() so SUM([Larceny- theft rate])... i don't know if your data is aggregated or not?!

hope that helps

Mark

• 3. Re: Issue with IF THEN
              jasmine.ellison

Hello,

Thanks for the tip. And I get new error "All fields must be aggregate or constant when using Table Calculations or fields from multiple data sources"

• 4. Re: Issue with IF THEN
                Mark Fraser

i was expecting that... errors are layered - so as we solve layer 1 we get the next error

the new error - basically your mixing aggregates, and non aggreates

as an example - you maybe comparing days vs month - which doesn't work

normally you can wrap the non-aggregated values in SUM() to aggregate and ensure the levels are the same

alternatively you use the ATTR function to dis-aggregate the aggregated data

either way - the granularity needs to match

i don't know your data but that's what i was referring to when i said... i suspected this may happen!

also... you may find you need to wrap [Larceny- theft rate] in SUM() so SUM([Larceny- theft rate])... i don't know if your data is aggregated or not?!

are you able to provide an example? otherwise do as i suggest - but do it in steps... then you know when you have fixed it!