2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2017 6:02 PM by Jamal Khan

.twb or .twbx

Jamal Khan

Here is my dilemma. No tableau server, the dataset is coming in excel format in one of the network drives. Possibly 2 tableau desktop for development using tableau 10xxx. The dashboard is created and the .twbx file is stored in a network drive. There will be approximately 25 users, and if they have tableau reader in their desktop can they point to the single .twbx file which will be created/refreshed everyday and do their charts/visualization/dashboards etc.

I am sure there is a better cheaper way to do this, but as I mentioned there is no tableau server and only 2 tableau desktop for development. The datasets in excel which will be refreshed everyday and will have around 60000 records approx., but could not tell you the exact size in bytes, but well within the threshold of datasize allowed in Tableau.

Chris helped me out on this and I am grateful, but still would need help for a sound design with the resources I mentioned. Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

BytesPeddler

• 1. Re: .twb or .twbx
          Chris McClellan

I think that is the cheapest way by a long shot, and you have no choice - you have to use TWBX for Tableau Reader.

If you're looking for a better option, Tableau Server (on prem or cloud hosting) or Tableau Online make your environment easier to manage.  Tableau Server can then read the XLS files automagically so no need for you to refresh every day.  It does cost more than just 2 Desktop licenses, but the savings you get back from not having to refresh every day would be worth it over a few months.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: .twb or .twbx
            Jamal Khan

Thank you Chris. Very kind of you.

BytesPeddler

1 of 1 people found this helpful