6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2017 9:07 AM by Ankur Anwekar

Do not want Vizalert to embed image but just the CSV attachment

Ankur Anwekar

Dear Community,

I would like to know, how can I disable vizalerts to stop embedding image in the email and stick to CSV attachments only. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Ankur

• 1. Re: Do not want Vizalert to embed image but just the CSV attachment
          Matt Coles

You can't stop users from doing this (though you can definitely tell VizAlerts not to do any work for certain users if you want to lock people out), but if it's an alert that you built yourself, you can send an email with the attachment and no image by using the Advanced Alert fields. Put in the appropriate values for Email To *, Email From *, and Email Subject *, then an empty string (if you want) for Email Body *. Then drag the Email Attachment ~ field into the viz and edit it so that it's a string that says 'VIZ_CSV()'. If you want to pull a different CSV for the attachment, you can point it at a different viz like this 'VIZ_CSV(youworkbook/yourview)'. See the User Guide sections for "Advanced Alerts" and "Content References".

• 2. Re: Do not want Vizalert to embed image but just the CSV attachment
            Ankur Anwekar

Thanks Matt for the prompt reply.

Are you referring to "VizAlertsConfig" workbook where I need to make the changes? I do not see either Email Body* field or Email Attachment field.

• 3. Re: Do not want Vizalert to embed image but just the CSV attachment
              Matt Coles

No, these are fields that you build in the connection within the workbook you're using for your alert. You will want to read through the entire User Guide to understand how to build an Advanced Alert. They may take a little time to understand, but they're extremely powerful.

• 4. Re: Do not want Vizalert to embed image but just the CSV attachment
                Ankur Anwekar

Thanks Matt! It was pretty helpful and neat.

I went through the user guide in detail (phew, quite exhaustive) and got my alert without the image working. However, I still don't understand the need for a separate trigger workbook to make those specific changes. I thought we could have made a few adjustments in vizalerts.py or vizalerts.yaml file to disable/remove the image in the email. Although I am not suggesting that edits in py or yaml could have given the solution but wondering on having a separate workbook.

Regards,

Ankur Anwekar

• 5. Re: Do not want Vizalert to embed image but just the CSV attachment
                  Matt Coles

Ah, I see. Yes, you could certainly modify the code directly to achieve the behavior you want--it's all open-source, after all. Check out lines 700 to 722 in vizalerts\vizalert.py.

Note that you don't necessarily have to have a separate workbook, or even a separate sheet for the CSV you want to send--it's just that whatever fields you use on the Advanced Alert would be included in the CSV if you don't specify a workbook path, and you just use 'VIZ_CSV()'...so the recipient of the email would have a CSV attached that would have all the "Email ___ *" fields in there, which might be weird. But it's up to you.

I will say, though, that modifying the code would require you to merge it with whatever new version I, or others, put out. And besides that, the main focus of VizAlerts going forward will not be Simple Alerts, since what they do is largely covered by features that are included in Tableau Server now--10.1 has Conditional Subscriptions, and 10.3 has Data-driven Alerts. The Advanced Alerts do much more than what Server can do, so it's worth us continuing to invest effort in those features. Stuff to consider!

• 6. Re: Do not want Vizalert to embed image but just the CSV attachment
                    Ankur Anwekar

I agree with objective you mentioned. Plus, I think configuration changes in the workbook itself rather than py file is a better option for non-tech folks, in most cases are the actual Tableau users.

Thanks for the great help Matt! I really admire the work you guys have put it. Lastly, the Tableau community is fantastic!