3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2017 3:46 AM by Brian Hanger

Tabcmd Filter not filtering

Brian Hanger

Hey Tableau-ians, and thanks in advance for taking the time to read my post!

I have read numerous articles regarding Tableau online: Tabcmd/command line syntax and the use of batch files for script execution, but I still keep getting caught up on passing URL filters/parameters. I am currently living in Sweden and as such, i believe that I will eventually need to encode my filter/parameter values in my batch file to account for special characters å,ä,ö (A job for future Brian I guess)

That being said however, I still can't seem to get a simple case test to work i.e. to successfully pass a filter which is void of special characters. Below is an example of my batch file executable for both the "export" and the "get" function. Both of these functions produce an unfiltered png file i.e. the default view which was loaded on Tableau online.

tabcmd Export Sams-Inkomstperfamilj-NoDetail/InkomstperFamilj?Kommun=Ale --png -f C:\Users\user1\Documents\TEST1.png

tabcmd Get Sams-Inkomstperfamilj-NoDetail/InkomstperFamilj.png?Kommun=Ale:refresh=yes -f C:\Users\user1\Documents\TEST2.png

Is there something super obvious here that I am just overlooking? The syntax should be:     tabcmd export "MyReport/MyDash?ParameterName=Value" --png

- Brian

• 1. Re: Tabcmd Filter not filtering
          Zhouyi Zhang

Hi Brian

Have you tried below?

tabcmd Export "Sams-Inkomstperfamilj-NoDetail/InkomstperFamilj?Kommun=Ale" --png -f "C:\Users\user1\Documents\TEST1.png"

ZZ

• 2. Re: Tabcmd Filter not filtering
            Brian Hanger

Hey Zhouyi Zhang,

I will test this when i get home. Oddly enough though, I just prepared a quick test workbook with fake data (no data blending, joining or spatial files used) and only one filter named "City" and that appears to be working as intended using the same syntax as was used in my original post:

'Working Test File  >       tabcmd Export FILTER-TEST/CityCheck?City=Toronto --png -f C:\Users\user1\Documents\CITYTEST2.png      

'Not working Original  >  tabcmd Export Sams-Inkomstperfamilj-NoDetail/InkomstperFamilj?Kommun=Ale --png -f C:\Users\user1\Documents\TEST1.png

Which leads me to believe that this may not be a syntax problem. Any thoughts?

• 3. Re: Tabcmd Filter not filtering
              Brian Hanger

Fixed the issue, the parameter name was the same as another measure/dimension and as such, caused a compiling error resulting in no filter to be used.