1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 7, 2017 9:51 AM by Patrick A Van Der Hyde

    Tableau Server 10.2.2 broke all of the Cloudera Hive connections that were using SSL

    Charles Ayotte-Trépanier

      Hi,

       

      Just a FYI. I don't know if that's a documented issue (I sure didn't find any documentation on it ), and I don't know if it's specific to Tableau 10.2.2.

       

      However, after upgrading from v10.1.3 to v10.2.2, all Hive connections using SSL would return the following error when trying to connect from Tableau Server:

      Could not connect to server

      [Cloudera][ODBC] (11570) Required credential settings are missing: {[PWD]}.

      [Cloudera][ODBC] (10380) Unable to establish a connection with data source. Missing settings: {[PWD]}

       

      I had tested the different connection type, but not every single servers to which Tableau Server connects to. The Cloudera Hadoop connections I tested before upgrading were not using SSL and worked fine. I didn't see anythign wrong with the new version and upgraded prod. Let's just say I've learned the hard way to be more thorough with my tests!

       

      The good news is that it's easy to fix a connection:

       

      1. Open the workbook/data source from Tableau Desktop 10.2.2

      For each data source

      2. Edit connection

      3. Make sure the settings are ok. Most often times I had nothing to change. I did encountered some data sources that had their transport to 'Binary' when it should have been SASL.

      4. Republish the workbook/data source

      5. It should now be fixed!

       

      The bad news is that I couldn't find a better way then doing it manually for each item that needed to be corrected...which is multiple hundreds

       

      Hope that helps!