8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2017 5:00 AM by Rob Vera

Gateways

Rob Vera

Good afternoon,

I have a question on gateways that are installed with Tableau Server.  Is it possible to only install only the apache components on a separate server?

• 1. Re: Gateways
          Jeff Strauss

what do you mean?  Yes, you can install the gateway on a separate server and in fact it will not count toward your core license.  It installs Apache Tomcat with the httpd config.

• 2. Re: Gateways
            Rob Vera

Jeff Strauss wrote:

what do you mean? Yes, you can install the gateway on a separate server and in fact it will not count toward your core license. It installs Apache Tomcat with the httpd config.

I'm thinking along the lines of removing single points of failure.  So what I'm looking to do is have, for example, three Tableau Servers in the Tableau cluster that handle all the Tableau specific components with no gateways installed.  I'd like to have two servers that host only the Apache components and have those on the load balancer.  Hope that makes sense.

• 3. Re: Gateways
              Jeff Strauss

Your idea sounds feasible.  Have you tried it out?

• 4. Re: Gateways
                Rob Vera

Unfortunately we have not.  We are in the process of architecting a new environment on paper.  We have not purchased the server license.  Primarily in the learning and discovery phase of Tableau Server.

• 5. Re: Gateways
                  Matt Coles

You can't avoid installing the Gateways, they're a required component of any host in the Server cluster. This is because those processes are used for inter-node communication, not just servicing requests from users. However, with your load balancer, you can simply direct external traffic to the hosts that you want to dedicate to that purpose. Another item to note is that if all you install is the Gateway, you will not pay anything for those hosts if you're under a core-based license. In fact, because it's necessary to have three hosts in your cluster to take advantage of High Availability features, some organizations will build their clusters with two hosts doing the "real work" (VizQL Server, Data Server, Data Engine, Backgrounder) and then stand up another machine just running the Gateway, Cluster Controller, and Search and Browse processes:

From High Availability :

Note that because the "lightweight" machine in this diagram is the Primary, losing it will take down your whole cluster (the licensing component is the one piece of Tableau Server that is not high-availability enabled). Hence the incentive for setting up a Backup Primary (see the link above for that).

Still, I'm not sure you'd really be increasing your overall resiliency much by adding those other hosts just running Apache. That process doesn't consume much in the way of system resources, and can easily run alongside the other Tableau processes. So I wouldn't think you'd be getting a lot of bang for your buck. If you moved the passive and active Repository processes to the other machines, on the other hand...that might be worth doing. Those processes should not consume core licenses either, and might alleviate some processing work from your other workers.

• 6. Re: Gateways
                    Rob Vera

"You can't avoid installing the Gateways, they're a required component of any host in the Server cluster"

Ok.  That makes sense.  Thank you for this information.

• 7. Re: Gateways
                      Matt Coles

Sorry, something niggled in my head when I posted that, then I realized that I lied!

Gateway is actually not required on each node. The "Base Install" is what it's called now in the config, which is Cluster Controller and licensing, and some other stuff. So you could do what you are proposing. But again, in my mind it's generally better to install that component on all nodes anyway, and use your load balancer to direct traffic to the nodes you really want handling those requests.   

• 8. Re: Gateways
                        Rob Vera

No worries.  I was struggling with finding this information.  Hard to tell with the trial software.  Thanks for the followup.