2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2017 4:11 PM by diego.medrano

Import users from csv file when using SAML

Vikash Daya

Hi

We're using Okta as our IdP and configure access to Tableau in Okta by assigning users to a group and Auth is setup as SAML.  Tableau documentation states that users are not automatically provisioned in Tableau in this scenario and that the users have to be added to Tableau Server using either GUI or tabcmd and that the UserName must match the Okta Username passed in the SAML token.  The challenge is how do I automatically get users into Tableau using tabcmd in a script.  I have a script to export the users from Okta to a csv file that can be imported.  However, when I run the tabcmd script, I'm specifying a local tableau account to access tableau server, and when it starts the import process, it errors when trying to add the users to Tableau.  Does anyone have any guidance on how this can be achieved please?

This is the output I'm getting:

===== Continuing previous session

=====     Server:   https://myserver.domain.org

=====     Username: tableau

===== Adding users listed in ImportUserList.csv to current site...

===== 0% complete

===== 100% complete

===== Lines processed: 4

Lines skipped: 0

Number of users added: 2

Number of errors: 2

Error details:

line 2 for user 'user1@domain.org': Creation of local system user when Auth is Local requires password (errorCode=10054)

line 4 for user 'user2@domain.org': Creation of local system user when Auth is Local requires password (errorCode=10054)

Thanks