1 2 3 Previous Next 31 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2018 8:44 AM by Natalia Lebedev Go to original post
      • 15. Re: Overlapping worksheets in a dashboard
        Joe Oppelt

Kym -- you only answered the question half way.

When both are selected, which one do you want the user to see?  (BTW, this is going to get complicated because one pair of sheets uses one data source, and the other users a second source.)

There are tricks and ideas we can do.  It really depends on what exact behavior you need to see.

BTW, the problem you were encountering with only being able to access the top-most floating sheet can be addressed by putting those sheets each in their own individual containers, and align the containers exactly.  If the dashboard is published (not in desktop, but yes if published to server) the cursor can reach through the container to the underlying sheet.  It's something in the way HTML handles a container.  If you just have a sheet, then the sheet holds onto the full size of the allotted space, but when you have it in a container the sheet shrinks to a tiny 9 pixel sliver, and the container behaves differently and allows the cursor to click to the underlying sheet.

• 16. Re: Overlapping worksheets in a dashboard
          Jim Dehner

Good morning Joe

I am anxious to see how you do this one - I looked it over after Kym's last post and I'm stumped -

The values/dimensions selected on either of the upper 2 charts don't appear on their respective detail charts below - I was looking at counting the number of Type or Categories for the trigger - but that would not work

I also don't know what happens when the user has gone from detail chart 1 to detail chart 2 and now wants to go back to the start with no detail charts -

Just looking to learn at the foot of the master

Jim

• 17. Re: Overlapping worksheets in a dashboard
            Joe Oppelt

In the attached I have made pop-out containers that push the respective sheet 2 or sheet 4 into view when 1 or 3 gets clicked.

First of all I added a very simple data source to this workbook.  It's built on the attached excel spreadsheet.  And then I made pop-out sheets that expand or collapse based on values passed to them.  the sheets have a filter that forces either "a" or "b" to be on the pop-out sheet.  And then sheets 1 and 3 pass either "a" or "b" to those pop-outs.  Whichever sheet was clicked last is the value that prevails in the pop-outs.  So only one or the other displays.  Play with clicking on Sheet 1 and 3 on Dashboard 2.  (The original actions are still on there as well.  And each time I copy the dashboard to the next step, Tableau propagates the actions by adding "1" to the end of the names.)

So the elements I need are now on dashboard 2.

Copy to Dashboard 3.  Here I made super-huge horizontal containers, 2000 pixels long.  Click on 7.  Clear it.  Click on pink.  Clear it.  Two actions for sheet 1 activate to expand the pop-out and the data sheet.  Ditto Sheet 3.  Now click on 7, but don't clear it.  Click on pink.  The action for the pop-outs clear's sheet 1's pop-out.  but it doesn't clear the data sheet.  This is OK as we will see in the next dashboard.

Copy to Dashboard 4.    Look at the coordinates for the two horizontal containers.  I have positioned them off in negative space.  When the pop-out activates, it pushes the data sheet onto the dashboard.  Whether or not the actual data sheet gets cleared, when the pop-out collapses, the data sheet disappears into the negative space.

Now these containers can be positioned on the x-coordinate to line up on top of each other and be positioned wherever they are needed on the dashboard.

So what I've done, whether or not the user clears an old selection on the other sheet, whatever gets clicked last will be the one pushed onto the dashboard.

And if this is published to the server, cursor clicking will work in either one of these data sheets.  (but not so in Desktop.)

3 of 3 people found this helpful
            • 18. Re: Overlapping worksheets in a dashboard
              Jim Dehner

Wow

That is excellent -

Was the "a and b"  driven by the multiple sources and the way she was relating data across the sources without a clear dimensional link?

Jim

• 19. Re: Overlapping worksheets in a dashboard
                Joe Oppelt

I wanted a separate data source to build the pop-outs.  Simple values:  1,2,3, etc., or A,B,C ...  I wanted to be able to send one hard-coded value from one sheet (thus, the calc: [a] in the first data source) and a different hard-coded value from the 3rd sheet.  Then the two pop-outs have a filter that forces only one of the simple values on each sheet.  (Note:  I did the filter for each sheet on a (copy) of the actual dimension field so that the action filters didn't mess with the actual field I'm using to control this.)

You'll notice that the actions on Sheets 1 and 3 send a value to both pop-outs.  One sends "a" and the other sends "b".  This always makes one expand and the other shrink.

So this ends up being all data driven.  I would have used this extra data source even if there had been only one actual data source in play.

I developed this idea when I was playing with the attached workbook.  At first I just wanted to pop out something specific when you click on each sheet.  Dashboards 2 and 3 show that.  But then I wanted to take it an additional step and pop out something different based on the measure value you click.  That's what Dashboard 4 does.

• 20. Re: Overlapping worksheets in a dashboard
                  Jim Dehner

That's great - thanks for sharing

Jim

• 21. Re: Overlapping worksheets in a dashboard
                    Kym Mercier

Thanks for sharing all! I will give this a shot. I think my main problem lies in that my actual workbook (not the one I shared for work privacy reasons) has 6!! data sources per dashboard. I have it set up that when I click from the details of one item to another, the details of the first selection clear out on their own. Making it never possible for a user to have more than one set of details highlighted at one time. I will let you know if this works for me. I very much appreciate the help!

• 22. Re: Overlapping worksheets in a dashboard
                      Kym Mercier

So I gave that a shot but I still have the exact same issue even in your sample workbook. I only have 197 pixels of real estate at the bottom of my dashboard. So I have to have all details overlap. If I set them all to the same size and location, I still cannot scroll.

• 23. Re: Overlapping worksheets in a dashboard
                        Joe Oppelt

In the sample workbook I uploaded, I did not overlap them.  I left that for you to do.

But remember, I pointed out that you will only have cursor access to those underlying sheets when you publish the dashboard to server.  In desktop you will still have the problem that only the uppermost container in the floating order will have access.

Will you be publishing the workbook for users to access?

• 24. Re: Overlapping worksheets in a dashboard
                          Kym Mercier

Ahhh!! I missed that!! I published it and this works great!!! Your awesome!!

• 25. Re: Overlapping worksheets in a dashboard
                            Joe Oppelt

Kym -- Just one follow-up on this.

When you have to do stuff in Desktop to the underlying sheets and containers, you'll have to get creative.  Here's what I do:

If my work is going to be in the top-most container, all is well.  But if I need to access the underlying one(s), either I swap the floating order of the containers, or I change the starting x- or y-coordinates of the upper container temporarily to move it out of the way.  Sometimes the floating order is important, so I leave that alone and change one of the coordinate numbers by adding an additional -1000 to get it out of the way.  I just have to remember to put it back when I am done.

• 26. Re: Overlapping worksheets in a dashboard
                              Esther Twain

Hi Joe,

I'm struggling a bit replicating this technique. If you could take a time elucidating me on some aspects...

1. Why exactly do we have the a/b sheet? Does it function like some sort of Parameter?

2. When you say "Whichever sheet was clicked last is the value that prevails in the pop-outs" - is this some requirement? Why does this happen?

3. When you say "Two actions for sheet 1 activate to expand the pop-out and the data sheet", what two actions are you refering to? I'm only seeing one...

4. Between the DB Example B.twbx and pop sheet value.twbx that you posted right after, what did you do differently? (What did you want to show?)

Thanks!

Esther

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                              • 27. Re: Overlapping worksheets in a dashboard
                                Joe Oppelt

Esther Twain wrote:

Hi Joe,

I'm struggling a bit replicating this technique. If you could take a time elucidating me on some aspects...

1. Why exactly do we have the a/b sheet? Does it function like some sort of Parameter?

2. When you say "Whichever sheet was clicked last is the value that prevails in the pop-outs" - is this some requirement? Why does this happen?

3. When you say "Two actions for sheet 1 activate to expand the pop-out and the data sheet", what two actions are you refering to? I'm only seeing one...

4. Between the DB Example B.twbx and pop sheet value.twbx that you posted right after, what did you do differently? (What did you want to show?)

Thanks!

Esther

1)  I need the A/B sheets to have a data-driven method to expand/collapse the pop-out sheet.  Because they are based on a data source that is separate from the actual data I am displaying, I can force values from my real data source (through the [a] and [b] calcs I created) to the pop-out data source.  For example, on Pop-out Sheet 2 I filter so that only "a" can be displayed.  The actions for the two data sheets pass either a value of "a" or a value of "b" respectively, so depending on which sheet got clicked I either get a good match (if "a" is passed) and the sheet expands, or I get a mismatch (if "b" is passed) and the sheet collapses.

2)  Both data sheets send something to the two pop-out sheets.  You will see on the filter shelf a filter of ACTION(Dimension). Both filter actions pass the "a" or "b" to this.  Whichever one was the last one clicked, that is the value that is getting passed to that filter.

3)  When you edit actions from the dashboard, it's kind of confusing because everything is named the same and when I made copy after copy of the dashboard as I progressed through the explanation, the filter names were just propagated by tableau by adding a "1" to the end of the name of each filter.  So do this.  On Dashboard 4, do DASHBOARD -> ACTION

And then you'll get the action editor screen.  In the lower left, uncheck "show actions for all sheets" so that you see only the actions for this dashboard.  Then you will see that there are two actions for Sheet 1 on Dashboard 4, for example.  When you click on Sheet 1, both actions trigger.  One will create the actual detail data sheet.  The other will do the pop-out to push that data sheet into view.

4)  The "pop sheet value.twbx" example shows that we can use the same pop-out data source method to pop out things based on the measure value selected.  "DB Example B.twbx" is acting on which sheet is getting clicked.  (That's what Dashboard 2 and Dashboard 5 also show in "pop sheet value.twbx".)  But on Dashboard 4 of "pop sheet value.twbx", the pop-out is occurring based on which measure value is getting clicked.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                • 29. Re: Overlapping worksheets in a dashboard
                                  Natalia Lebedev

Hello,

Just found this post. We are struggling to implement this approach. We have slightly different case: five charts with different datasources that have five drilldowns using actions. Different filters/fields are being used to pass parameters to the drilldowns. Since every chart can be clicked, all five drilldowns can appear underneath each other and user has no idea where it's coming from. We've been given task to have just one drilldown to show from the latest selection. But we are not able to implement it.