3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2019 10:36 AM by Yuriy Fal

Are my context filters being published to Tableau Server?

Stephen Shepperd

I've created a workbook that is connected to an extract on Tableau Server. To speed the performance, I've added context filters to sheets to improve query performance. These are not connected to any quick filters. Here is the image I'm seeing in Desktop before I publish:

Context1.PNG

After I publish, I notice that my performance didn't improve that much. I went into web edit to check and see if the context filters persisted during the publishing of the workbook and I'm seeing this:

Context2.PNG

The field I wanted to be 'In Context' has still been moved to the top of the list, but the field is not grey like it is in Desktop. I'm like 90% sure I've seen context filters show up as grey in web edit in Server, but I could be mistaken. The performance doesn't act like it's being queried in context.

I've then downloaded workbook from Server and opened it up in Desktop to take a look at that sheet, and the field shows up in grey!

So to recap:

1. Context filter is set in desktop
      2. Publish to Server
      3. Context filter does not appear to exist when viewing in Web Edit
      4. Download that workbook from Server and open it back up in Desktop and I see the grey context filter is back.

I'm I missing a step when publishing? Should I trust that this filter is being treated as a context filter even though it's not grey? Any guidance would help.

Both Desktop and Server are 10.2.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Are my context filters being published to Tableau Server?
          Yuriy Fal

Hi Stephen,

Web Edit mode (application) in Tableau Server

is limited in features (including the interface ones)

as compare to Tableau Desktop. The gap is shrinking --

thanks to the Tableau Dev team -- but we're not there yet.

So even if you couldn't see grey pills in Web Edit mode,

the Context filters are actually there (as you can witness

when downloading the workbook from Server to Desktop).

Regarding the expected performance, it may or may not be the case.

If you're using FIXED LODs and want to restrict the scope of the calculations,

you outta use Context. Same if you're using Quick Filters other than Context ones.

Everything else being equal, you may not observe a performance boost because of Context.

Yours,

Yuri

3 of 3 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Are my context filters being published to Tableau Server?
            jon rios

hello, i dont know if this still applies since its been over 2 years with this post.... but i have uploaded a template workbook to our test server with a date filter as Context

but when other data sources get connected and posted to tableau Server the filter is removed from context.... I know this because if i download each individual workbook from server, i can see it is not on context and my calculation is wrong.... I can click the filter arrow, see it says "add to context", and when I do, it updates my calculation correctly!!

how can i resolve this issue?  if not in server, in the calculations, or filter pane, or how ever... thank you!!

• 3. Re: Are my context filters being published to Tableau Server?
              Yuriy Fal

Hi Jon,

You've said:

... but when other data sources get connected and posted to tableau Server the filter is removed from context....

What do other users do with your 'template' workbook

published on the server? Please describe the steps.

I suspect something is lost in the process.

Yours,

Yuri