1 2 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2017 1:16 PM by Ben Young

Display only the map of china, no worldmap (version 10.2)

ko cindy

Hi guys,

Nice to communicate with you all on this community. I am just a green hand and come with a problem on the map display.

The official map is world map, which is too big for me. Only need to display the map of china, no other countries. But I am not

very sure how to do this step by step. Maybe there are some suggestions from you. Thanks in advance!!!

• 1. Re: Display only the map of china, no worldmap (version 10.2)
          Rahul Singh

Hi Cindy,

You can use the countries list in filter and then select only china . This is the best shot that I can give with the given details.

Could you please attach the sample data file so that we can discuss it more elaborately.

Thanks.

Rahul Singh

• 2. Re: Display only the map of china, no worldmap (version 10.2)
            Ben Young

Hi Ko,

The way to do this is to adjust your view using the Map Layers dialogue box found under the Map dropdown menu. Click on Map on the top menu (inbetween Analysis and Format), then choose Map Layers as shown below:

2017-05-25.png

Then, in the new Map Layers dialogue that shows up on the left side of the screen, change the Washout to 100%, shown below:

2017-05-25 (1)_LI.jpg

That hopefully will give you what you need. I've attached a workbook as a reference for you as well.

--Ben

• 3. Re: Display only the map of china, no worldmap (version 10.2)
              ko cindy

Hi Rahul,

Thanks for your advice! Below is a sample data screenshot I can show for you .sample.png

The first row is city name, which are all chinese cities. And the second row is project Name. Each city have one or more projects. but one question, city data on the sheet is only part of chinese cities, not all. So I can only get below screenshot when I want to display the number of projects on each city.

current display1.png

What I really want is to display only the map of china, no other countries. And I am not very sure about the country filter, since I do not have data about country. thanks again

• 4. Re: Display only the map of china, no worldmap (version 10.2)
                ko cindy

Hi Rahul,

Thanks for your advice! Below is a sample data screenshot I can show for you .sample.png

The first row is city name, which are all chinese cities. And the second row is project Name. Each city have one or more projects. but one question, city data on the sheet is only part of chinese cities, not all. So I can only get below screenshot when I want to display the number of projects on each city.

current display1.png

What I really want is to display only the map of china, no other countries. And I am not very sure about the country filter, since I do not have data about country. thanks again

• 5. Re: Display only the map of china, no worldmap (version 10.2)
                  ko cindy

Hi Ben,

Really thanks for your advice. But still get two problems.  I have made a data sample as showed above. The cities are only part of china, so there will be blank in the map.

current display1.png

After I do what you tell me, I just get this as below. It can not show the whole map, city with no data will not be displayed, for example Hongkong.

change1.png

Another problem is that, if there is a need to display like below.

current display2.png

After the same operation, I will get below screenshot.  It does not work at this situation.

change2.png

So these are my questions.

BTW, really thanks for your advice again!

• 6. Re: Display only the map of china, no worldmap (version 10.2)
                    Ben Young

Hi Ko,

I have good news and bad news. The good news is that one of your questions is possible to solve. The second is that, unfortunately, your second is not possible as things stand right now. But, with some simple changes, you should be able to solve things.

To start, using a Dual Axis chart, you can overlay your circles on top of the map to give you your background map, along with the values shown. You do this by dragging a second copy of Latitude to your rows shelf, then right-clicking and choosing "Dual Axis". You can then set the map type for your second chart to be whatever you'd like, in your example above it looks like Circles, and that will give you the background country outline and your detail. Here's a screenshot:

Capture.PNG

Now, as to the blanks on the map, that is going to be an issue. Tableau will not draw marks when no data exists. So, using my example, if I didn't have any sales in Scotland, it would not show up on the visualization. Background maps show different countries because they are just that: background. They are not generated from your data; Tableau just intelligently overlays your view on the background map. So, without any sales in Hong Kong, or any other region, they will not be added to your view.

There are two possible solutions to this. The first will work if you do not need the individual region detail on your map. What you can do is create your dual axis, but have your base map only show the Country level of detail, not the individual region. This will fill in the entire country, because you do have data for China, it just won't draw lines for individual regions. You'll still have your circles, you just lose out on a bit of detail. Here's a screenshot:

Capture2.PNG

If you need the region detail as well, you will need to add a dummy row to your data set that has the region(s) you're missing. You can even leave your Sales (or whatever measure of interest you're using) field blank, just so long as you have a row for each Country/Region combination. This is not ideal as you have to manually add to your data, but it's not too much of a hassle, so it may be worth it if it gives you the view you're looking for. Here's a screenshot:

Capture3.PNG

Hope this helps! Workbook is attached, with the dummy data, for your reference.

--Ben

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Display only the map of china, no worldmap (version 10.2)
                      ko cindy

Hi Ben,

It`s really a good way to get what I want. I have to say many thanks to you.

I just try what you show me and get a result very close to what I need. But still have two questions maybe needs your help.

First one, I see you use the Country to fill in the map. So I add a new column Country to my sample data, then I value it with "China".

But when I use China to fill in the map, I get below screenshot. The map is only part of China, missing some places as showed below.

测试前.png

So if I continue the steps, it will show like below.

测试后.png

This map does not show the whole China.

Then I try to use province to fill in the map, and manually create an excel with province data missing in the previous excel file.

QQ截图20170527152446.png

Then it comes to the question two. 

When I join this two sheet and create an item named "City Name ALL" like below.

QQ图片20170527152808.png

QQ图片20170527153036.png

At this time, it seems good. The data of new column includes  all places we need. But when I use this column "City Name ALL" to fill in the map. It still shows the previous data. I am not sure which step is wrong.

QQ图片20170527153514.png

• 8. Re: Display only the map of china, no worldmap (version 10.2)
                        Ben Young

Hi Ko,

I don't have a ton of time for a detailed response, but I can point you in the right direction, then circle back beginning of next week.

First, the issue with not showing all of China is because Taiwan and Hong Kong are recognized as separate countries from China. You will have to include data in your view from these countries, then create a group on your Country field to include those other countries. I'm not sure about the Hainan province; that seems like a bug I would check with Tableau Support.

For your second question, I'm not sure why it isn't picking up your new field. Would you please attach a packaged workbook that I can download so I can look at the problem more directly? If that's not possible due to data confidentiality, I understand.

--Ben

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Display only the map of china, no worldmap (version 10.2)
                          Zhouyi Zhang

Hi, Cindy

To meet your requirement, what I would like to suggest is using spatial files for both China mainland and Taiwan and using full outer join

create same City Name All as you do.

and then in edit location, set country/region to none

And then blend your data with spatial data source using City Name. I made up 3 lines for Guangdong province as your data.

From below snapshot, you can see all the province displays while only Guangdong shows count of project as 3.

This is just an example to show how you can achieve your requirement no matter there is a data or not in your data source. You can do the same steps as Ben outlined.

The spatial files you should use your own ones as mine just in province level, not city level and especially if you could find a shape file with Taiwan polygons inbuilt, you can skip the first step.

One last thing is, from your snapshot, I don't think what you had shown is your confidential data, and it should be very easy for you to make up a workbook and share so that anyone who is trying to help should not struggling with reproduce your issue by their own. Packaged workbooks: when, why, how

Hope this could help.

ZZ

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Display only the map of china, no worldmap (version 10.2)
                            Ben Young

Fantastic ZZ! Cindy, this should give you what you need. (Apologies for the delay; we had an internet outage at our flat).

--Ben

• 11. Re: Display only the map of china, no worldmap (version 10.2)
                              Zhouyi Zhang

Thanks, Ben

Cindy, Please let us know if that helps.

ZZ

• 12. Re: Display only the map of china, no worldmap (version 10.2)
                                ko cindy

Thanks, Ben.

Just go back to work. I have checked what you all show above. It does help me. Thanks again!

• 13. Re: Display only the map of china, no worldmap (version 10.2)
                                  ko cindy

Hi Zhouyi,

Thanks for your advice!  Our current problem is that we have no data for HK, Macau and Taiwan. My colleagues are working with me on this to make some dummy data like Ben said before. Then we can get what we want. Hope it can get what we want. Thanks again!

• 14. Re: Display only the map of china, no worldmap (version 10.2)
                                    Zhouyi Zhang

Cool

Let us know if any question needed.

ZZ

1 2 Previous Next