3 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2017 2:08 PM by Joe Oppelt

Set a parameter for each state in order  to assign value

Qi Guo

Hi Tableau Community,

I try to figure out if we can create a parameter to select each individual state and assign a value for that state by using another parameter.

Please see attached for data

Thanks in advance for your help!

Best,

• 1. Re: Set a parameter for each state in order  to assign value
          Joe Oppelt

I'm looking at this, but I don't understand what you need.

Are you looking to assign some value for each state?  The workbook opens to "Gross Receipt Forecast" sheet.  What am I seeing here?

• 2. Re: Set a parameter for each state in order  to assign value
            Qi Guo

Hi Joe,

Yes, I want to assign some value for each state. In this case, We want to assume that for some states, the sales will grow by % comparing to the original receipt.

Instead of setting up parameters for each state and create calculation field for all states. Is there another way to do it? for example, Can I do a list of state for a parameter and just select and input for state values?

Sorry for the confusion. Please see attached. I hide all unnecessary sheets.

again, thank you so much for your help!

• 3. Re: Set a parameter for each state in order  to assign value
              Joe Oppelt

If I understand what you need correctly ...

You can have a second data source where you maintain your adjustment factors.

I created an excel file from your data. (Attached.)  It has one row per state.  I grabbed some field from your data that seemed to have a value in most rows, and I renamed it [Factor].

And then I made a second data source from that.

I blended on STATE, so when you are using "Input Template" as your primary data source, you can pull the associated [Factor] value for each state like I did in Sheet 3.  Once I started adding fields from your original source, that made your source the primary data source.  Then I clicked on my secondary source, and I dragged [Factor] onto the sheet.  (I changed it to DISCRETE so that it displays as a text value in ROWS.)  Then I put SUM(Projected...]) on the sheet.  |

Next I made a calc [Adjusted Projected ...], and in that calc I just multiply sum([Projected ...]) by sum([secondary source].[factor]).  I have displayed that calc on the sheet as well.

If you need to maintain those multiplication factors, it is just a matter of editing the excel file.  You won't need 50 separate parameters to handle it.