11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2017 11:31 AM by Toby Erkson

Release Notes botox

Toby Erkson

It used to be quite straight forward to view Server Release Notes | Tableau Software and see the date sequence of releases.  Not so anymore

The prior view was MUCH easier to see what updated when.  In fact, I use it (present tense) to update the attached workbook so I can track when Tableau makes updates and when I update our environment.  This unnecessary and more involved change just threw a #$%@! wrench into the works   It's no longer a simple to use, easy to read/digest page, taking too many clicks to get information.

Did I mention this? --> 

• 1. Re: Release Notes botox
          Patrick A Van Der Hyde

Toby - thank you for that great feedback.  I'm sharing around here. 

Patrick 

• 2. Re: Release Notes botox
            Jeff Strauss

I second Toby's comments.  They're hard to use for not really any good reason.

• 3. Re: Release Notes botox
              Jonathan Drummey

Thirds.

The only nice part about this structure is that at least the release note files are consistently named so we can predict the names to pull them down in some automated fashion, however the interface of expanding JS menus is a pain. I’ve had this issue with http://kb.tableau.com for years, the expanding JS menus makes it impossible to use Ctrl+F to find within the page so we have to manually expand (and collapse) menus until we find what we are looking for.

Jonathan

Jonathan Drummey - +1.207.831.9657 - jonathan.drummey@gmail.com - @jonathandrummey

Tableau Zen Master and Forums Ambassador

Follow @helpmedatablick for your @Tableau tip of the day

• 4. Re: Release Notes botox
                Gerardo Varela

Fourths!  I really don’t like not being able to CTRL-F as Jonathan stated. As a workaround, the attached workbook has an excel data source that is linked to the page.  If you refresh the excel data connection it should pull in any new info.

The KB articles have a site map that I think is all inclusive.  I wish this was the same for all of Tableau resources.

http://kb.tableau.com/KbSiteMapHtmlLinks

Regards,

Gerardo

• 5. Re: Release Notes botox
                  Patrick A Van Der Hyde

Thank you for the feedback. 

• 6. Re: Release Notes botox
                    Ashley Bass

Thanks again everyone for the feedback.  The redesign does help us achieve some customer goals, such as helping people easily find release notes by product type (for example, Tableau Online or Tableau Desktop), but it sounds like we may have not understood all of your current uses for the pages, and there are a few different ways we could solve for some of this. Also, search functionality and a few other things are in the longer term plan. We're in the process of reviewing feedback and customer experience so we can identify additional improvements, and we will take all of this into consideration. We may follow up to get more input, and you can keep posting here about your requests. Also, not sure this achieves exactly what you need for your workbooks as easily, but there are dates and versions on this page: https://www.tableau.com/support/services.  also on Alternate Downloads Site | Tableau Software.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

• 7. Re: Release Notes botox
                      Ashley Bass

HI Jonathan, thanks for the feedback.  I'd love to know more about what you are searching for.  Using the global search option will return specific results for defect ID numbers pretty well, but I don't know how well it addresses other use cases. 

Also, we are considering removing the Alternate Downloads Site | Tableau Software. page altogether and consolidating the download links in the release notes pages, so there is only one spot and a streamlined workflow for getting to all the info, and the downloads, for a specific release.  Any feedback or concerns with that?  Jonathan Drummey let me know what you think or if you want to chat. Thanks.

• 8. Re: Release Notes botox
                        Jonathan Drummey

Hi Ashley,

For example I recently wanted to do a search of the release notes on web authoring to see what features were added in what release. In a number of cases in the past I've done searches on release notes to find out what sorts of changes had been made in a given area of interest. Because of Tableau's rapid release cycle (which I like) the clients I work with are often skipping 2,3,4, releases and then when they upgrade they are sometimes seeing changes in behavior and wondering when/where they came from, the release notes are an (imperfect***) tool to help find that out. What I like to do is open a web page and use Ctrl/Cmd+F to do a local search within the web page for text of interest.

Both Desktop Release Notes | Tableau Software and  Knowledge Base use a high-level menu where the underlying defects/KB articles are hidden until each individual menu is expanded to show the underlying items. This pretty much stops my use case dead in the tracks because I have to expand the menus to have any hope of the local search finding anything.

The global search isn't appropriate here because it's going to find all sorts of material from online help, the forums, etc. that I'm explicitly *not* interested in looking through. And going to DuckDuckGo/Google/Bing/etc. isn't useful either because that's an even broader search.

So my dream would be a large/long web page or even just a text file that had all the release notes for every version. Or, to Toby Erkson's point, if you had a machine-readable CSV with columns for release date, release number, build number, issue type (security/new feature/resolved issue), issue ID, and description then we'd be able to get at exactly what we need in whatever format we need it in.

*** There's a separate issue in that there are a number of defects & other code changes that get fixed in each release that are not listed in the release notes.

Jonathan

• 9. Re: Release Notes botox
                          Toby Erkson

What about setting up a POC page so we can see exactly what y'all have in mind.  It's been done before with the forums.  That's easier to evaluate than a textual description which can be easily misinterpreted.

• 10. Re: Release Notes botox
                            Ashley Bass

Thanks, Jonathan and Toby.  I'll see about getting a mock up or draft for you to take a look at regarding the Alternate Downloads Replacement and am connecting with our documentation, release and support teams about the possibility of producing a csv or other option for a fuller list.  We are also looking into ways of updating or filtering site search and some page redesigns as well, to make your searching/finding more successful. Regarding your use case for searching for feature updates from release to release (rather than for bug fixes): the release notes have not traditionally included new feature/enhancement information; we started adding them in more of a list format with this new page redesign and the 10.3 release, with the goal of putting info about new features, enhancements, and fixes in a particular release all in one place.  What do you think?  Currently, the best place to see a list of new features per release is in What's New content in the Product Help. Sorry, it also has to be expanded.  The "what's new" content will be mirrored in the "release notes" in the future to create a more complete list of fixes and features per version.  Let us know what feedback you have on this.

• 11. Re: Release Notes botox
                              Toby Erkson

Ashley Bass wrote:

...we started adding [new feature/enhancement information] in more of a list format with this new page redesign and the 10.3 release, with the goal of putting info about new features, enhancements, and fixes in a particular release all in one place. What do you think? Currently, the best place to see a list of new features per release is in What's New content in the Product Help. Sorry, it also has to be expanded. The "what's new" content will be mirrored in the "release notes" in the future to create a more complete list of fixes and features per version. Let us know what feedback you have on this.

That sounds good.

Ashley Bass wrote:

...Currently, the best place to see a list of new features per release is in What's New content in the Product Help. Sorry, it also has to be expanded. The "what's new" content will be mirrored in the "release notes" in the future to create a more complete list of fixes and features per version. Let us know what feedback you have on this.

This outlining/accordion format does not work and slows information searching down.  It's pretty and it's cool and a nice design feature but it is terribly slow for searching & finding information when already on the page since that is the logical place to look for the info.  I vote against using this format in the Release Notes.  When such outline formats are required (like in Product Help) at the very least it would be helpful to have an option (a toggle perhaps) to expand/contract everything.