4 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2017 1:22 PM by Angie Tarbet

Edit Alias function giving me error message

Angie Tarbet

Hi,

I am trying to use the "edit Alias" function on a sheet within my dashboard.

Tableau keeps giving me the error Internal Error, an unexpected error occurred and the function cannot be completed.

I am in 10.1 desktop. Has anyone been able to workaround this or know of a fix for the error message? I really need to edit the alias on my sheet.

Thanks. Angie

• 1. Re: Edit Alias function giving me error message
          Galen Busch

Hi Angie,

There are a few ways I've gotten around this. Using a group, and editing members, or (time consuming, sometimes necessary)...

IF [Dimension] = "kItTy CaT" THEN 'Kitty Cat'

Etc

• 2. Re: Edit Alias function giving me error message
            Angie Tarbet

Thanks Galen. I am using the edit alias to use "-" instead of Null values appearing in the report, except I cant use the edit alias function due to the error.

I tried your grouping suggestion and that becomes a greyed out field that I cant use on the view. The IF then statement does nothing to the Nulls for this data field, the Nulls still appear on the sheet.

I am using a blended data source for one field on the sheet - this specific field on the sheet has string value or Null value. I want to make all the nulls disappear or use the edit alias to remove Null from the view. It seems simple but nothing is working to get rid of the word Null showing up in this column. likely due to blending the source data. I tried a T/F statement but that ends of getting rid of everything including the record from the view (not just the word Null in the column). Thanks

• 3. Re: Edit Alias function giving me error message
              Lisa Li

Hello Angie,

Would it work if you wrap your measure value with ifnull( expr1 , expr2 ) ?

Expr1 will be your measure (you can wrap it in str( int ([Measure] ) ) to round the value before returning it as a string), and expr2 can be "-"

Hope this helps!

-Lisa

CoEnterprise | Home

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Edit Alias function giving me error message
                Angie Tarbet

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for the suggestion. I just got my blended data field aliased...

I had to use the blended data field in the original data source view in the calculation to get rid of Nulls (IFNull). The blended field would have ATTR (blended data field) since I am using the field from the blended data source. For whatever reason this then would remove the Nulls.