2 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2017 4:43 AM by Dimitri.B

Permission for another user to trigger extract refresh on server

Dimitri.B

The owner of a published workbook by default has permissions to do things with its scheduled extract refresh, e.g. change schedule, run refresh manually, etc., as mentioned here and here.

Is there a way to allow another user, different from the workbook owner and not a server admin, to trigger an extract refresh for a workbook?

Thank you,

Dimitri.

• 1. Re: Permission for another user to trigger extract refresh on server
          Donna Coles

Hi Dimitri

If you have multiple sites, then setting someone up as site admin should work, but this will grant them a lot more rights too.  I thought the Project Leader role on the Project the workbook sits in would allow this capability too but reading the help I can't fnd any specific reference to Project Leader being able to refresh workbooks they don't own.  All Project Leader talks about is being able to manage the permissions on a Project.  It might be worth trying this out though.  I vaguely recall another post questioning this...

This is one post that I responded to, but there is no further discussion on it - there was no mention on scheduling refreshes though..Re: Site Admin vs. Project Leader?

I have also found this idea from a year ago which suggests someone else was having a similar issue and that there is no way... https://community.tableau.com/ideas/5889

One option you could try is set someone to project leader who changes ownership to themselves, kicks off the extract and then changes ownership back again... however this may not work, as I have seen issues with this sometimes due to the owner not matching the credentials embedded in the  workbook being refreshed.

Donna

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Permission for another user to trigger extract refresh on server
            Dimitri.B

Thank you, Donna.

Judging from the idea post, I'm not the only one and there doesn't seem to be an elegant way of working around this.

Regards,

Dimitri.