4 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2017 9:53 AM by Mark Schukas

turning off scroll bars (vertical and horizontal)

Mark Schukas

can I turn off the scroll bars (vertical and horizontal) of a worksheet on a Dashboard (other than resizing)...?

???

thank you.

• 1. Re: turning off scroll bars (vertical and horizontal)
          Jamieson Christian

Mark,

You can change the auto-size configuration for the worksheet after placing it on the dashboard. The default is "Standard", which will use the original worksheet sizing with minimal regard for the size allotted to it in the dashboard.

If you change to "Entire View", and Tableau will force the contents to fit into the size allotted on the dashboard. This will ensure that scroll bars never display.

However, there are 2 caveats to be aware of:

• If your worksheet has substantially more content than is practical to fit in the allotted space, everything will get squished down really small and possibly overlapping.
          • If you've allotted more space than is required, the content will expand to fit the allotted space. This may not always be a desirable behavior.

Alternatively, you can go into the worksheet and try to reduce the "Standard" size, by using the Ctrl+Arrow keys. These shortcut keys change the "cell size" — you can also do this from the menu, though it's much more tedious.

I hope this helps!

• 2. Re: turning off scroll bars (vertical and horizontal)
            Mark Schukas

thank you for all the detail...

?does this correspond to the size icon in the Marks pane?

?I have a number of these icons on my dashboard (all with a different Action assigned), I want to make that they are all the same size...I use the Layout features to size the various worksheets, but I'm not sure about these various shapes (arrow)?

thank you.

• 3. Re: turning off scroll bars (vertical and horizontal)
              Jamieson Christian

Mark,

The Size setting on the Marks card is a separate control from the "Cell Size" manipulations via the Format menu or Ctrl+Arrow shortcut keys. Think of the Size setting on the Marks card as a way to dictate a shape's size as a "percentage of the cell size".

As shown above, for Shapes you will see 2 tick marks on the Size setting. The first one is a "looks nice" size that equates to maybe 60–70% of the cell size (speaking off the cuff). The second one is 100% of cell size, and if you move the slider higher than that, the shapes will start to exceed the cell size (and will either be clipped or overlap adjacent cells).

Ideally, you will manipulate Cell Size (or use the Layout options like "Standard" or "Entire View") and try to leave the Shape Size at a "looks nice" setting. However, sometimes you may find that you need to manipulate both Cell Size and Shape Size to achieve optimal results on your dashboard.

• 4. Re: turning off scroll bars (vertical and horizontal)
                Mark Schukas

thank you.

so how do I know the size specs (format), so that I can make other symbols on other worksheets the same shape, size and color, etc.

???

thank you.