7 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2017 12:56 PM by Tom W

Tableau 10.1 online data source is not refreshing as expected

Jie Garris

Hi All,

I published my workbook and data source on Tableau online. And setup data source refresh schedule every 15 minutes. And then I went back to my data source, remove couple records to test, the data on workbook is not refreshed after 15 minutes. And then funny enough, I opened the workbook (online one) the next day, the data on workbook is refreshed. I am confused here, why it needs overnight to refresh even I setup the online data to be refreshed every 15 minutes.

P.S. First of all, I checked couple resolution online, it all gives the solution about make sure the file link is correct, etc. I think since my file is refreshed successfully, so I can pass that part check. The only thing is that data is not refreshed as the setup (15 minutes). Instead, it does refreshed the next day. Also, I use the "live" connection. I tried to go back to Tableau desktop, the data source is connecting to online one, and manual refresh the data, it's not giving me the new data. If I go back to online data source, there is no place to manual refresh data or view the data( I didn't find it, please instruct).

• 1. Re: Tableau 10.1 online data source is not refreshing as expected
          Tom W

Tough to say without understanding exactly what you were doing. Please provide screenshots, the type of the source you're connecting to as well.

While your source may have refreshed after 15 minutes, you do need to make sure you're clicking the refresh button within the report as well.

• 2. Re: Tableau 10.1 online data source is not refreshing as expected
            Jie Garris

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the quick response. Here is my data connection screen shot

I build the workbook initially from join two txt files, and then I published my data source online, and then reconnect my desktop tableau to online data source.

I just found out how to refresh my data, it's by choose data on the top bar, > tableau data server > refresh from source. It dose refresh the new data for me. And then I need go to workbook online and then refresh workbook in order to update new data.

My question is that I already published data source online, and scheduled, why I still need to manual refresh my data from source, also why I still need to manual refresh my data from workbook online? Is there a way to automatically refresh once the my txt file data is changed? Both for data source and workbook?

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Tableau 10.1 online data source is not refreshing as expected
              Tom W

Are you sure the server has access to the text files? I can't really tell from your description if the source online is actually refreshing or not?

Take a look at this article regarding why you need to refresh on open - Data in a Tableau Server View is Out of Date | Tableau Software

• 4. Re: Tableau 10.1 online data source is not refreshing as expected
                Jie Garris

Hi Tom,

Sorry that I am not familiar with the word "server" or online, the only thing I know is that I published my data source on Tableau online, I don't know the server part and I read that article and I couldn't find Tableau server from my computer. When I go to Tableau online (website), I couldn't refresh my extract, I couldn't even edit my data source file. I don't know why it's all greyed out to me. The only thing I can do is to schedule refresh, see below. The schedule is to refresh every 15 minutes. You can see that currently "Last Update" is from today at 11am, and next update will be the nearest coming 15 minutes. But in the morning today, I saw "Last Update" is from Wednesday this week, the reason it's changed to today's date is because I manually refresh the data from source from Tableau desktop. So my question is still that it seems like it's scheduled to refresh data every 15 minutes, but it's actually not refresh. It may will be refresh it overnight, which I am not sure and don't know why.

• 5. Re: Tableau 10.1 online data source is not refreshing as expected
                  Tom W

Tableau Online is not able to connect to a text file stored on your local PC, so the refresh won't work. Unless you're using the Data Sync client?

• 6. Re: Tableau 10.1 online data source is not refreshing as expected
                    Jie Garris

Thanks, Tom. You are right, I am using the data sync client, it has a little window popped up on the right side of my screen corner. I closed it couple days ago as it's inconvenient. That's why my data stopped refreshing. I couldn't choose continuously as I am not window administrator. So I guess I have to keep that window open to refresh data and refresh workbook.

• 7. Re: Tableau 10.1 online data source is not refreshing as expected
                      Tom W

Correct. That's how your Tableau Online instance connects to your PC to refresh from those text files.

The only way to avoid this is to connect your Tableau Report to a datasource which the Tableau Online Server can access. For example - a database, a Google Sheet, etc. I assume none of those are options though, so you'll have to stick with the sync client.