1 Reply Latest reply on May 4, 2017 11:59 PM by Donna Coles

Credentials prompt when loading visualization

Horatiu Negutoiu

Hello,

I'm running into an issue where loading a Tableau visualization prompts the user for their credentials and I wanted to ask if anyone could give their input before I open up a ticket with Tableau. This happens in our "Production" environment but not in our "Testing" environments leading up to production.

Some details about all our environments:

1. Environments

- We run Active Directory.

- If it's worth anything ,we also have a Group Policy that adds our company domain to a list of safe websites at startup.

2. Tableau Server Setup

Tableau is set up with Active Directory, as shown below.

01-tableau-config-general.png

The datasources are published ones and have embedded sql credentials.

The workbooks are local extracts that are uploaded and refreshed. We have a dedicated user with a publisher role who uploads the workbook and kicks off the extract refresh. Regular portal users see the workbook only after the extract refresh has completed.

3. Embedding of Visualization

Users have access to a portal into which they log in. Their username and password exists in Active Directory so that's how we authenticate them.

Visualizations are embedded in the portal using the JS API and Tableau (hopefully) authenticates them before showing them the visualization.

We use trusted tickets, so the urls for the visualizations look like this: https://tableausite.ourdomain.com/trusted/<trustedTicket>/t/<site>/views/<workbook>/<view>

4. Chrome + IE Behavior

The behavior has two parts:

Part 1 Steps (Solved):

- starting from a cleared cache, user logs into the portal

- user browses to a visualization

- visualization loads

- user clicks on a filter

- IE: User is shown an IE pop-up prompt when accessing the visualization. The prompt is not on "an element in the page" but a separate windowed prompt to "Enter Credentials". Not sql credentials, their own user credentials.

- Chrome: User is shown the "Sign in to Tableau Server" page where the visualization used to be. No redirection, user is still in our portal, it's just that they have to enter their own username and password again to see the viz.

Solution: In the General tableau server setup tab seen above, we used to have the "Enable Automatic Login" checkbox enabled. Disabling this checkbox disabled the "separate" prompt. We disabled

Part 2 Steps:

- starting from a cleared cache, user logs into the portal

- user browses to a visualization

- visualization loads and is visible

- user clicks on a filter, changes the filter and presses enter

- visualization circular "thinking" screen appears and 1 second later:

- IE and Chrome: User is shown the "Sign in to Tableau Server" page where the visualization used to be. No redirection, user is still in our portal, it's just that they have to enter their own username and password again to see the viz.

- clicking the button and entering username/pass reloads the visualization and the user can now change filters freely without the prompt reappearing.

- logging out of the portal and logging back in results in the same behavior described

02-sign-in-prompt.PNG

Another note is that it doesn't always happen. It only happens every ~ 1 out of 3 visits. It seems to happen right after cache is cleared but not all the time. It seems to happen less frequently if we log out of the portal and log back in.

5. Thing we tried

- Internet Explorer settings as described here Prompts for Credentials Continue to Occur After Enabling Automatic Login | Tableau Software did not have any effect.

- This page Configure General Server Options describes how the "Enable Automatic Logon" checkbox should be disabled if we use trusted authentication. All of our testing environments have this setting checked, they use trusted authentication and we never had a problem.

- We tried re-uploading the workbooks, the datasources to no avail

Any help is appreciated.

• 1. Re: Credentials prompt when loading visualization
          Donna Coles

Hi Horatiu - Firstly let me commend you on such a detailed post.  It's great that you have provided so much information and hopefully if I can't help, someone else will.

I'm afraid my input is going to be very limited as I'm unfamiliar with how trusted tickets work as it isn't something we do at my company.  However I believe even though your users are accessing the reports via a portal rather than server directly, they still need to be licensed on the server.

As such I wondered whether there was any way you can verify with a user who is having problems, what their experience is if they access the workbook directly on the Tableau Server.  Might be worth seeing if they can connect to the published data source too.  Can they access 'testing' too this way and does the experience differ?  This may help you determine whether it is the trusted ticket authentication process cuasing problems.

Donna