3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2017 4:57 AM by Donna Coles

Permission Setting for Data Sources

Frank Hecker

I am new to Tableau and have a quite basic question: I want to set a permission that restricts a user from publishing a data source. I would expect that the following setting would do the trick for "Relevant User", but it doesn't. He is still able to publish data sources to the "myGroup"-Project. What am I missing?

Tableau-Security.png

• 1. Re: Permission Setting for Data Sources
          Donna Coles

Hi Frank

I'm not certain on this as I haven't tested, but I think if you expand the Project section of the permission, you'll probably have Save enabled there.  I think this means you're giving the user rights to save into the Project area (which is what you want if you want them to save workbooks to the project).

However, the Save permission on the data source area is just grey rather than a red cross, which makes me think the user is 'inheriting' the right to Save a datasource because he has Save rights on the Project.  To stop him saving a data source to the project I think you want to keep clicking the Save permission under the datasource until you make it a red cross (like you can see in the section above).  This should explicitly deny him the right.

Let me know if that works

Thanks

Donna

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Permission Setting for Data Sources
            Frank Hecker

Hi Donna,

I think you are halfway right. After taking up your hint and a little bit of further testing, my understanding has changed to the following:

The rights assigned on the "projects" section are not refined on the "workbooks" and "data source" section, they rather refer to a completely different aspect:

In the "projects" section is defined whether you are allowed to publish into a project or not. But this setting applies to your ability on workbook and data source level. There is no way of allowing a user (or a group) to publish workbooks to a project, but not data sources (which is what I wanted to do).

The rights one sets in the workbook and data source section only refer to workbooks and data sources already on the server.

Thanks for your help!

Frank

• 3. Re: Permission Setting for Data Sources
              Donna Coles

Hmmm  I'm going to have to test this out myself as your statement that seems a bit odd "The rights one sets in the workbook and data source section only refer to workbooks and data sources already on the server".

The one thing you do need to be aware of is a content owner will have all rights on their own objects regardless of the rights set against the project.  For example if the project allows a user to save workbooks but not delete them, an owner of a workbook will always be able to delete their own workbook after publishing.

If this user has already published a datasource and is therefore the owner of the datasource, then they can do what they want with it (which could be republishing their own data source that already exists, ie overwriting it).  Have you tried changing the owner on the datasource or deleting it or getting the user to publish something brand new?